I’m at a loss

llg06

My son is 3 months old today. We’ve been EFF since about 1 week. He still wakes up 2-3 times a night to feed. I’m so tired. I try to pump him with extra food during the day and he just isn’t having it. I thought by now we’d be down to maybe 1-2 feedings. Any help will be appreciated 🥺

@llg06 Have you tried a dream feed? That way he gets a few extra calories before bed? My buddy is 10 months old and I found that sometimes he actually ate better if I spaced bottles out properly (2.5-3 hrs). Then he could actually get hungry.

@llg06 A friend of mine who had EFF 3 kids suggested “a big long meal” before bed. She said to make a slightly larger bottle and let baby take as long as they need up to the full hour. She said that the big bedtime bottle worked way better for her than spreading calories over all daytime feeds. We tried it (added 1 ounce to his last bottle when he was about 2 months) and just took it slowly. He slept his longest stretch ever that night, which was 5 hours.

I will say, I’ve heard baby sleep is not linear and that is no joke. He slept really well for what felt like ages and then all of a sudden he was learning to sit and crawl and then teething and it was 6 weeks of struggle. Last 3 nights? Great sleep! Tonight? Who knows!

@llg06 Waking to eat 2-3 times a night at that age is incredibly normal. He’s barely even out of the newborn potato phase right now. It should get better eventually without intervention, but you can actively start night weaning once he’s 6 months old. In the meantime, do you have a partner at home? Can they handle at least one of the wakes?

Hang in there ❤️

@llg06 Have you tried to feed more often during the day?
If you feed during the day every 3 hours, and do a “dream feed” right before you go to bed (10-10:30 pm), baby might last longer.
I followed 12 hours sleep under 12 weeks and Taking Cara babies course and baby had only one feed at night until around 5-6 weeks, and then just kept doing “dream feed” and baby slept until 6:30-7 am.
In the taking Cara babies course, they say that many parents give a bottle or a boob when baby just needs a pacifier/swaddled or rocked.
The goal is to start dropping those feeds at night and give less and less food at night and more during the day.
My pediatrician said that at 8 weeks old they are developmentally ready to sleep 12 hours straight.

Back