How to prep for c-section ? Nervous!

@julianchu I had mine last week!

Make sure you have a large bottle with a straw which goes down to the bottom. I was sat in bed for over 24 hours and my husband was busy with the twins and fetching things, and the reserves of water saved me getting dehydrated when top ups had to wait. Plus the team were much happier decatheterising me when I was very hydrated.

I also bought a cotton dressing gown with pockets. My hospital was really warm and I wore just that for days in my room as I learned to breastfeed.

I’m in UK so not sure what they give you in hospital but I brought my own maternity pads as the NHS ones aren’t sticky - so they kept shifting and falling out my underwear, annoyingly.

I never got the gas or the scary first poo, but I took along sachets of fibregel which is a gentle fibre supplement to act as a stool softener. Ask your midwife or doctor a pregnancy safe one and take it in advance. Oh and pack snacks for the hospital for as soon as you’re allowed to eat, something carby, as you don’t want to have to wait for the next meal by then!

@s0ngoku33 Congrats on your new arrivals! My two should be here in a month all being well… I’m guessing that all the comments on here about being given things by the hospital probably are from US posters and you don’t get given much in the Uk? In particular, i will need to get my own belly band?

@63iam I remember posting on your post ☺️ I hope you’re doing well! We didn’t get much from the NHS- pads, disposable underwear, and use of a double pump and some new little bottles for milk collection, and some syringes for colostrum. I found those syringes useless as they had a wide neck so after a certain volume the colostrum would drip out, so bring your own spares if you’ve been collecting at home. I think they would supply a few nappies if needed, and it’s worth noting they don’t give formula, you need to bring it. You can get some Aptamil pre-made little bottles with teats on Amazon, a set of six, those were a life saver for us as our boy was very floppy and fatigued by day 3 and needed it straight from the bottle to stave off jaundice treatment. He literally opened his eyes as he drank from it and I could have had a little weep from the relief.

Edit: also yes no belly band! Although I didn’t want to wear mine, and I still haven’t. The pooch is hanging free!

@s0ngoku33 Thank you for the advice! I’m so glad your boy perked up on the bottle. I’ve got some cow and gate ready made all packed and my freezer is slowly filling with syringes. I will hold fire on the belly band though there is going to be sooo much tummy hanging out when these guys make their appearance…

Hospital has agreed a 9-9 visiting time for my husband so I’m feeling much better about the whole thing. I really hope you enjoy those cuddles with your two!

@julianchu Here’s what I’m going to order to have on hand ahead of time. I’m going to order on the larger side, so I can use right away, and can always re-order as my body changes.

MamaStrut Postpartum Essentials Bundle

MOTHER TUCKER Postpartum Compression Support Leggings

BELLY BANDIT Under Wrapz C-Section Recovery Briefs

I’ve also order a couple of long sleeved, nursing friendly tops, and I already have compression socks I’ve been wearing.

I still need to call my Dermatologist and talk with her about how I should be caring for the incision and what products she recommends I use.

@julianchu For the love of God, do not try to get up using your abs afterwards. Hook your leg(s) with your arm and use weight distribution. I fell asleep on the couch and found myself alone when i woke up and tried to throw myself off the couch. Tore my incision, short story long. Lol.
Walk, walk, walk.
And please be aware of how close your babies’ feet are to your tummy. Baby A kangaroo hopped on my belly a day after being born and i almost threw up/passed out because it hurt so badly.
I wore a loose dress home, loose clothes ruled my life for months.

@julianchu I preferred to wear nightgowns for a few days after mine before graduating to pants/shorts with a very loose and high waist band. My nightgowns had buttons for easy access to my breast pump (NICU babies). I wore pumping bras underneath my gown for hands-free pumping.

I wore the mesh underwear and used the pads the hospital provided. I did not use an abdominal binder- my nurse didn't want to give me one because she said for a lot of people they can encourage incision infections. She did provide me with a small little pillow to hold against my incision when walking/sneezing/etc. I definitely suggest having something like that on hand!

The things that were most comforting to me were thick socks and special toiletries for the first shower.

@julianchu Hi! Just came here to say I had a fairy tale c section at 38+0. No complications, the room was so happy. I was 10/10 scared, but now I look back and watch the video because it makes me so happy. Be prepared but know it’s in the hands of trained professionals!

@julianchu Maternity pads for knickers id consider essential. Knickers go up a size for comfort.

Epsom Salts for bathing afterwards to reduce the chance of the c-section scar becoming infected.

@katrina2017 I would even say avoid standing water. We usually tell patients showers or running water only until a wound is healed to decrease the chance of bacteria getting into the wound.

@julianchu Only thing I’d add that hasn’t already been said is if you have a lot of stairs in your house, you might want to sort out a temporary first floor bedroom solution.

If I had only one flight of stairs (bedroom on second floor) I probably would have been ok to do that once a day, but my bedroom is on the third floor which was too much to do in the first week. My doctor also advised not to sleep on a bed that’s higher/taller than the hospital bed.

@julianchu Talk to your dr about aftercare for you now and after healing in 6-8wks. Binder, diastasis recti workouts, possibly pelvic therapy and what to look for.

Edit to add: if your dr prescribes your binder the cost can go through your insurance.

Back