Help me pull the trigger: Wildbird Aerial | Sakura Bloom Scout | LennyLight | Tula Lite

dominga

I've been nerding out on the different carriers for awhile now, help me make my final decision! Baby girl is almost 3 weeks and 98th %tile (10 lbs at 2 weeks). She's doing well in the Moby wrap so I'm excited for the next steps (have also ordered a ring sling).

We live in Hawaii so with the heat I've prioritized linen options and I've narrowed it down to the Wildbird Aerial, Sakura Bloom Scout, LennyLight, all in the $200 range...and I also included the Tula Lite (not linen but I like the fanny pack option, and wondering if I should try a cheaper option before I invest in one double the price?) I've made the chart below to organize my thoughts.

My questions for seasoned babywearers are:
  • Strap Style: Do you prefer H back or X back? LennyLight is unique in that it can be both options.
  • Padding: Do you like shoulder pads for comfort or do you prefer non-padded for a less bulky, more minimal carrier? How much of difference does the width/thickness of the back waist strap make? (LennyLight looks thinnest vs Wildbird looks the widest/thickest)
  • Fit and Versatility: Any notes on body type and fit? How easy is it to switch between front/back carry or between yourself and your partner? (We are 5'6 and 6'1, both thin/athletic build w long torsos)
  • Location: What do you like in a carrier for around the house vs out and about?
  • Climate: What do you prefer in warm weather? A sun hood seems pretty clutch for Hawaii (making me lean towards the Scout). If a carrier doesn't include a sun hood what do you do in the sun?
Wildbird Aerial Sakura Bloom Scout LennyLight Tula Lite Fav Color
Acadian
Thyme
Rainforest
Soar
Website Price w HI shipping
$190 (preorder, ships Mid Jan)
$192 (20% off sale)
$210
$92 (24% off sale)
Resellers
None
$183 (grey, gently used)
None
$63 (soar, new)
Range
7-45 lbs
7-45 lbs
0-36 months
12-30 lbs
Fabric
Linen
Linen
Linen
Synthetic
Back Style
X back
H back
H & X back
H back
Straps
thick padded shoulders, wide waist belt, buckles
non-padded shoulders, wide waist belt, rings
soft padded shoulders, thin waist belt, magnetic buckle
non-padded shoulders, thin waist belt, buckles
Sun Hood
none
yes
none
yes

Thanks for reading! Appreciate your insight.

@dominga Honestly, it all comes down to preference. You have to try multiple carriers and see what you like. I wanted something lower profile when my baby was young, and now that's she's 13 months, I NEED thicker straps. So it also depends on your baby's age AND what you will use it for. I think everyone needs a Tula lite for running errands, but if I go on a longer walk in it, my shoulders hurt. I also always find hoods useful, so if a carrier doesn't have a hood, I pass.

@dominga I don't own any of these specific carriers but I have been baby wearing in Hawaii for over two years now.

Thick padded straps and waistbands are where you will likely get hot and sweaty. They may require extra washing compared with a lighter carrier. Most of the carriers we own do have hoods to cover sleeping babies from the sun, but for the ones that don't we would just lightly cover baby with a muslin blanket.

I baby wear with both X and H shaped straps, but prefer X where feasible and prefer minimal padding. My husband has different preferences and we rarely use the same carriers, we just have a couple that are his and the rest that are mine.

@dominga Personally, I use my linen Wildbird ring sling a lot when they're small and then gradually start adding in the Boba X and the Naked Panda Dash Onbuhimo (I like it for back carry, so 6+ months) as they get bigger. I've ordered a Vienna Springs dupioni silk ring sling to use with my toddler since that's supposed to be more supportive, but haven't received it yet.

I also occasionally used a Little Frog woven wrap for #2 when she was little, but the layers got a bit warm.

My husband prefers the Babybjorn for tiny babies and the Standard Kinderpack with mesh for bigger ones (recommended for 8 mo+, but the Infant size can be used earlier on, it just won't carry as big of a toddler later).

@dominga Also can’t help a lot cuz baby hasn’t arrived, but there are a lot of Buy sell trade groups on Facebook with very knowledgeable baby wearers and cheaper secondhand carriers.

But be careful, It’s a rabbit hole.

@doublecheck I’m all about second hand and have been scouring eBay, poshmark and facebook.

I tried the Wildbird BST group on Facebook but all sellers are asking about $200 or more and they sell fast so at this point might as well get the color I want from the presale.

@dominga Well I only have one of the carriers on your list, the SB Scout, and I’m loving it. I also have an ergo Omni 360 which isn’t on your list but does have lots of padding and I much prefer the lighter weight of the Scout. The rings have been easy for me although I know some people don’t like them. I’m 5’4” and my husband is 6ft, both thin, and we both find it comfortable.

@dominga Came across your thread while trying to choose a carrier. My Wildbird aerial just arrived but I haven’t taken tags off and I’m now deep in the rabbit hole of researching other carriers 😩

Just curious if you’ve been loving your SB scout? How old is your babe and have you been using it already? Would love to hear your thoughts on it now!

Mine is just 6 weeks and she feels a bit small for the Aerial but I might be feeling that way coming from using the Solly & Moby where she feels super snug.…They advertise being able to use since 7lbs but I don’t see that as realistic!

@lme Love my Scout! Got it at about 7 weeks and she is 11 weeks now. She is big so we didn’t get a chance to use the legs-in carry, but that looks snug for smaller babies. She’s off the charts for height and still gaining neck control, so I roll the hood under her next for extra head support.

Love how it’s so soft and floppy, didn’t even need much breaking in. I can roll it up small enough to fit in a mini-backpack purse or only takes up a corner of the diaper bag. It’s also easy to wear around the house with baby out (as sometimes I’m planning to put her back in, I don’t even bother to take it off)

Saw a Wildbird in person and it looks really nice and was at the top of my list too. I just decided I wanted something without padding so it would be more minimalistic.

@dominga Thank you so much for the response! I think I’m going to return the WB until I can find a lending library to try on the Scout before deciding!

@dominga X back 100%. I find the H back so uncomfortable and harder to get on by myself. Check out Hope and Plum! They do ring slings, structured carriers and meh dais.
The structured is apron style and has no padding so super comfy and not bulky once on, super adjustable, and easy to wash! Also size inclusive! I did try before you buy with Lenny Lamb and really liked their meh dai wrap, the fabric was a bit thick for me though. And their color options are a little all over the place. Sakura Bloom scouts are so uncomfortable to me for front carry because of the H back. Back carry was fine though. The onbuhimo might be where it’s at for Sakura Bloom because it’s designed for back carry only. Hope and Plum has been my favorite by far though! They also have so many tutorials and a very active social media presence to help with fit checks and share knowledge.

@keobong79 Thanks, yes I’ve been researching since before baby was born and now that she’s here I really wanna wear her more so gotta make a decision! So many options it really helped me organize my head to see pros and cons laid out :)

@dominga I haven't experienced all these carriers but I can chime in on a few of your questions.

I have a couple friends who love their Sakura Bloom, but I personally didn't like the rings instead of buckles.

I prefer the X strap option -- feels more secure and more comfortable. Also, you don't have to fumble around to get the buckle behind your neck.

I don't find the sun hood useful for an awake baby -- they don't like having their heads confined! I just put a bucket hat on my LO in the summer. I would also stick to shaded areas and avoid going out between 11 and 3 if possible. You could carry an umbrella for shade as well.

If you're worried about heat I would go for minimal bulk and padding.

@dominga I love my LennyLight. I think you can find a few of my reviews of it on this group but misspelled LennyLite.

I carry my 20lb baby for hours a day chasing toddler without discomfort. He pretty much does all his naps in his carriermuch! 😬 I live in the Pacific Northwest, so can’t speak to hot & humid. For sun, rain, or cold, baby wears a hat. I’ve also draped thin baby muslin cloths to shade his legs in summer.

I’m still on front carry, but intend to try back carry soon. I surprisingly love that it has a stow bag attached?? I thought it was gimmicky at first, but now I love that I can stow and clip it off my diaper bag while baby is playing at the park, or bring it under the stroller if I need to shove toddler in the stroller and start wearing baby.

My only complaints are:
  • Baby loves to chew on it, and it’s a pain to handwash and hang dry. I could probably get drool pads? Whatever, I’m only washing once every 4 months so far.
  • The safety catch elastics pulled like a cheap hairband in a month. I don’t know if this was user error or manufacturing defect. It hasn’t snapped and still works (accidentally tested a few times, shh!), so I’m not fussed.
I think you might be able to try several of these carriers via Little Zen One’s Try Before You Buy program?

@dominga The malamabebe can do both H and X back so I'd consider it over the Aerial.

https://malamabebe.com/en-us/collections/baby-carriers

It's more comfortable than a scout but I do like my scout more as I think it's prettier. Silk makes a huge difference in breathability for humid weather - if you don't mind the simple silk look, my 3yo's back and the carrier were dry after an hour's walk at 33 degrees celsius and high humidity, but my back and her front (I was back carrying her) was soaked in sweat.

Back