Help. How did u know to switch formulas. My baby has unbearable, painful gas. Canada

@universalistanthony There is no guarantee for me to make her burp. Usually I stop a couple times during feeding to make her burp multiple times. I just keep her upright and tap her very softly on the back or walk around or even put her down flat on the back for a few seconds to a minute >> then upright. If she doesn't burp, I try to keep her upright on me and usually she burps after a few minutes but it's a patience game. It has taken 30 minutes+, especially when she falls asleep during the feeding.

I am still trying to figure it out. The over the shoulder technique has not worked for me for now.

She is also 7.5 pounds / 4.3kg and we just increased the feed to over 100ml per 3-4 hours.

Stay strong. We'll get through this phase.

@universalistanthony We switched from Similac, to Enfamil, and landed in Gerber.

My kid has crazy gas and Gerber has been the only one that helps him pass it comfortably. We give gripe water at night for that extra assist, but during the day? I swear he’s propelled by toots. But he’s happy and giggly, so I’m not going to complain.

@universalistanthony No, we use powder. I get mine from Sams because you pay the same amount as you would at Target, but it gives a few more ounces. Since we combo feed, those extra ounces give us around another week of bottles.

Gripe water helped a lot. We only do night time now to help, but when we were going through all the other formulas, this helped him pass it much easier.

@universalistanthony Try gas drops. I switched formulas when my preemie was projectile vomiting entire bottles of formula like something out of a horror movie and dropping weight, she had gas after the switch and we gave her gripe water/gas drops and that helped with that. Make sure you burp her really well between each oz too, it helps get a good amount of gas back out before it gets deep into her gut. If she doesn't have any other actual digestive issues and isn't throwing up large amounts or losing weight I doubt its abnormal. I also partially breastfed when she was a newborn and think it helped but didn't make enough milk to do it full time. Gerber is similar to gentlease if you do go that route though, they are partially hydrolyzed formulas, there's other brands besides enfamil that make them but idk what is available where your at. One other thing you can do is before you serve the bottle smack the bottom of it against the counter a couple times, it helps pop some more of the bubbles in it so less gas to swallow.

@universalistanthony I used Nestle Good Start Plus (the Plus is important). There is a RTF version of it that is often in stock whenever other formulas are sold out. It was a lot easier for my baby to digest. They put probiotics and comfort proteins in it, and it is partially hydrolyzed which makes it a lot easier on the baby's stomach. Kind of on the expensive side but was well worth it in my opinion.

Edit to add: Other posters are right though, I had to use Ovol gas drops sometimes around this time period and they helped a lot.

Back