Good or Bad

curry0

What does the name Tillie Mae sound like for a black child? To me (59F) to conjures up Southern oppressed women..i.e. slaves/maids...thoughts?

@curry0 Tillie Mae sounds like a little white British girl. I wouldn’t be shocked or anything to find out she was black, though.

Personally I don’t care for the name at all. It’s really cutesy. I have trouble imagining a Tillie Mae who’s older than about five, and it would seem very out of place on a professional adult. Matilda Mae “Tillie” would be nice though.

@dirkthelurk Yes, British or Australian is what I pictured.

Name is not my style. Good call on Matilda Mae, giving nickname options

And for OP, I'm just generally more for full legal names, rather than legal names that could be seen as cutesy. It doesn't necessarily connect with slaves or maids to my mind, but if course that's very subjective.

@curry0 It’s likely regional but I agree with you on the association. I know someone mentioned it could sound British which I agree with too but I think this might be one of those names that gets very mixed reactions

@curry0 Having read your description, I definitely get the same image. If you'd just asked what I thought when hearing that name, I probably would've just thought it sounded southern, without connecting it to a specific race, time frame, or image in my head. Those are both assuming that Tillie Mae is a double first name.

If Tillie is the first name and Mae is the middle name, I don't have the same association, even after reading your description. I would only assume it was a young girl.

Back