GF’s period is a week late, 3 weeks after plan B

globalwolf

So on 5th of Jan my condom broke without either of us realising, she took plan B very next morning on the 5th. It’s now the 25th, and her period was due 6 days ago. I know plan B can mess with cycles, and it’s not unusual for it to be late, but she’s apparently been feeling bloated for the last 3-5 days, and also getting swollen breasts. She has been very stressed about it all which I know can further mess with cycles.

What do people think are chances are? Would now be an appropriate time to take a test? Just not sure what to do and suggest to her as I don’t want to stress her out even more but I am starting to get a bit worried

@globalwolf It's possible that she's pregnant. If she has a 28 day cycle and her period was due on the 19th then she probably ovulated around the 5th. If she ovulated before she took the Plan B then it wouldn't have been able to prevent the ovulation and thus pregnancy could still have occured. I'd take a test, it should be accurate with her period being 6 days late.

@cakemom Ok thank you. So you’re saying if she ovulated before the plan b was taken then it wouldn’t have been effective? Is there not still something it could have done even after ovulation?
Sorry we’re only 18 and quite new to all this

@globalwolf My understanding is that Plan B can also make it harder for a fertilized egg to implant, so it can still help! But it's most effective when taken before ovulation because its main function is delaying ovulation.

I'm not trying to scare you - it's totally possible that it did work - but I feel like you should have an explanation if you discover that it didn't work.

@cakemom Yeah don’t worry I totally get what you’re saying, it’s much appreciated. I guess next step is just testing then really. She thinks that she ovulated the same day it happened or maybe the day before (according to an app so I guess not 100% accurate but who knows), which I guess is just our bad luck but she took the plan B less than 12 hours after it happened so it seems as though we’ve done all we can at this point and just gotta hope for the best

@globalwolf Yeah you definitely did all you could, it sounds like you were very responsible about it! Most of the time Plan B would be enough but it sounds like you might've had sex in the brief 12-24hr window when the egg would've been viable, but hopefully you'll still get a negative result

@cakemom Yeah you’re right, after more research I’ve realised plan B isn’t usually effective after ovulation, so it’s possible it might not have worked. She’ll probably test in the next few days, so fingers crossed but it seems as though we’ve just been extremely unlucky here first of all with what happened originally and then also with the timing as well. I guess time will tell

@marygeenz Sorry for late reply, I pretty much checked out of this thread after receiving the results as I wanted to just forget this stressful period haha. I can’t remember exactly, but I believe it was around the 8-10 day mark, and yeah according to my girlfriends app it was the day of her ovulation

Back