FTM - Nursery Questions

reekypear

Hi All!

I'm a FTM and extremely overwhelmed with products to add to our registry. For context, we live in a 450 sq ft apartment so we're really only going to need necessities and keeping things as practical as possible. The below are products I'm really struggling with.
  • Bassinet / Crib / Changing Table: I read and was advised that the bassinet is only used for 3 months before newborn is converted to crib. I was also told that baby can literally be changed on any hard surface or even inside the crib if a blanket is used on top of the crib mattress. Would it make sense for us to just purchase a crib off the bat? It'll fit in our bedroom. I was thinking of maybe getting something like this since it's an all in one but not sure. I can maybe also find an all-in-one where the side slides down when I just want to lean over if baby gets fussy.
  • Reclining couch vs. Glider Chair: I'm planning on breastfeeding as much as I'm able. We have a couch we're looking to throw away and are thinking of replacing it with a loveseat. My thoughts are we have a couch but also there's a reclining seat for me to breastfeed. I'm not sure how much rocking is needed but I can perhaps just walk around to rock if needed.
  • Stroller: This is what makes me go crazy the most. I understand why a bassinet is needed in a stroller but if I also get a bassinet at home, I'd have two bassinets. It's just such a waste IMO, which is why my first question stands if we can just get a crib bundle. I was looking at this product and was wondering if this stroller makes sense? It has all 3 necessities.
Thank you for the all your help! Any other feedback or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Thank you everyone for your responses and insights! I'm upvoting all your comments and will take time to really digest everyones recommendations and make a final list for myself. Thank you again.

@reekypear I’d go straight to the crib since space is limited in your case.
As far as changing table goes, I bought machine washable changing pads and would change my little guy on our bed or couch, once they got soiled you toss them in the wash.

We have a rocker that was nice for the rocking but the key part for breastfeeding for me was having my seat in a recline so I can feel more comfortable sitting for an extended period of time.

I got the stroller with a bassinet option as my son slept so much better in it vs the bassinet we had at home. Also, if you go for walks with the baby, the bassinet is a lay flat option that would be safer and more comfortable vs having them sleep in a car seat.

@reekypear If I were you I’d go straight to crib, skip a changing table but I can’t imagine changing my baby inside his crib — the drop is too low. That being said you can just change your baby on the floor. We have a wipeable changing pad on top of a dresser for our baby which is another option you could consider.

Personally, I have a glider that doesn’t recline so I went for rocking over reclining. I’m an anxious person and I don’t ever want to be TOO comfortable during night feeds and fall asleep holding baby. I know lots of people love a reclining feature though.

Travel system looks like a great choice!

TLDR If I were you I’d do:
• crib
• maybe a changing pad on a dresser/a foldable changing pad for floor changes
• whatever sitting furniture makes you happy
• the travel system you already chose

Congratulations! ❤️

@reekypear This is a Fakespot Reviews Analysis bot. Fakespot detects fake reviews, fake products and unreliable sellers using AI.

Here is the analysis for the Amazon product reviews:

Name: Pamo Babe Portable Crib for Baby, 4 in 1 Baby Nursery Center, Baby Playard with Changing Table, Bassinet and Mattress(Grey)

Company: Visit the Pamo babe Store

Amazon Product Rating: 4.7

Fakespot Reviews Grade: F

Adjusted Fakespot Rating: 0.5

Analysis Performed at: 01-21-2024

Link to Fakespot Analysis | Check out the Fakespot Chrome Extension!

Fakespot analyzes the reviews authenticity and not the product quality using AI. We look for real reviews that mention product issues such as counterfeits, defects, and bad return policies that fake reviews try to hide from consumers.

We give an A-F letter for trustworthiness of reviews. A = very trustworthy reviews, F = highly untrustworthy reviews. We also provide seller ratings to warn you if the seller can be trusted or not.

@reekypear My baby is 6 months and I’m also FTM and this is just my experience so far!

Bassinet: We had one next to our bed that that she used for probably about 2 months before she went to her crib. (While it’s recommended to wait longer, do what’s best for you and your baby! Ours did well in the beginning in our room and quickly she was just not having it anymore, moving her to her crib was the best decision we made for our sanity lol although very nerve wracking) however, having her close for those night feedings I feel was a huge bonus. Her bassinet had the option to slide the side down and I personally never used it, it was the same amount of energy to pick her up either way. If a crib will fit in your space, I don’t see why that couldn’t work. If anything, I think it’d make the transition into their own space one day easier since they would already be familiar with it and have that comfort.

Changing table: we have a changing pad on top of her dresser that we still use every single day. It’s not something you have to have though. When we’re down stairs I typically just have a blanket down to lay her on and it works perfectly fine.

Chair: I was gifted a glider chair and I personally love it. Right now it’s in her room and we use it for her bedtime reading and bottle but I’m hoping we’ll be using it more when we start reading more books. She’s still so little that she couldn’t care less about sitting to read a book lol I don’t think it’s a necessity if you already have a reclining seat though.

Stroller: We have a similar looking stroller/car seat combo and I love it. That bassinet was perfect for walks when she was a new born and now that sure can sit up and hold her head the “sit up” portion is great because she loves looking around. Ours does have the option to face towards us or away and I would highly recommend you get one that they can sit both ways!

@reekypear I breastfeed and don’t have a special chair. I mainly breastfeed on the couch and in bed. It’s doable, but oh boy does my back hurt after three months of awkwardly hunching over. I would definitely recommend some kind of chair that will let you breastfeed (or bottle feed, or contact nap) in a more ergonomic position!

@reekypear The all in one bassinet crib change table is a good idea! I also got a hard foam mattress from IKEA to put in mine since the bed is so hard.

If you get the stroller with the bassinet attachment then you can just bring that inside and use that for baby to sleep in at night too can’t you?

As for chair, I have a high backed dressing room chair and a “stool” for my nursing chair. I don’t even technically need it since the couch is fine. I had a more comfy rocking/recliner last time and it was too comfy in the middle of the night and to combat falling asleep I overate. The “stool” is just a large bin that I keep the baby blankets in with a small soft carpet on top to be comfy. I draped a spare curtain around it under the lid so it looks a lot fancier than it is. I also have a changing liner so I can sit in the chair and change baby on the tub and not hurt my back.

@reekypear Hey there, also a ftm and my baby just turned 5 months! Some insight on what worked for us personally:

Bassinet - We had a similar pack n play to what you added, the Graco Close2Baby. The small attached bassinet worked for the first few weeks but my girl didn't like being swaddled and she moved/scooched a ton in her sleep so we ended up just using the bassinet height level in the main part of the pack n play literally up until a few days ago when she turned 5 months (she never went over the weight limit, but hit the age limit). If I was doing my registry over again id probably get a pack n play just with tbe upper height level but none of the attachments on top. I will also add to be careful with ordering stuff like that off Amazon, especially smaller not as recognizable brands, they're usually not as regulated and for example, the "bassinet" on top might not even be a safe sleep space depending on what it's classified as in the manual... safe sleep can get complicated so I highly recommend researching that more. There's a great fb group I could recommend if you're interested with TONS of info.

Crib - we bought a crib ahead of time but haven't used it at all until now so if you'd rather wait, I'd say it's definitely something you won't necessarily need immediately if you plan to room share.

Changing table - I got one from my registry and tbh I haven't ever used it. We change her on top of our bed with a receiving blanket laid down, or on the couch or floor downstairs

Couch/chair - I'm constantly in the recliner chair for nursing and my girl will mostly still only do contact naps. We also have a glider in the nursery but again, pretty much everything in the nursery has yet to be used at all.

Stroller - we have pretty much that exact setup, but the Graco version and it's great! We never used the bassinet/pram style setup, so far we always just clicked the carseat into the stroller frame but the bassinet thing is what turns into the toddler/bigger baby seat for it so I know we'll definitely use it then.

Something to think about if you're low on storage space, a lot of the bundle products like the pack n play, when you cant/don't use parts of them anymore ie the bassinet on top or the changing table, you have to figure out where the heck to store them when not using them. Like I have the bassinet and changing table just hanging out in my closet right now idk what to do with them... and the bassinet part of the stroller is just shoved in a random corner right now until we end up needing it as the toddler seat.

@reekypear Hello FTM here too!
  • We went straight to a crib in our room to save on money. This meant we didn't have to transition her from a bassinet which took that stress away. She took a few weeks to get used to it when she was a newborn and looked tiny in there but it worked out in the end.
  • We don't have a changing table. We just use a changing mat either on the bed or floor. This makes it a bit more versatile and so we can move it about the house if necessary. I probably would avoid changing in the crib, as others have said already!
  • As we didn't have a bassinet, we used the stroller with a bassinet attachment to put her in for naps when she was tiny. She is a contact napper now so doesn't even use it 🤣.
  • I can't help with the feeding chair as I don't have one! It would be nice to have one though as I use the bed or couch.
We found it was easier to start with the bare basics and buy anything extra, once she was here. That way we saved money and didn't buy stuff that didn't get used. We figured if we really needed it, we would just amazon it.

Now she is a little older, we also have a pack and play which is useful for trips away but also good place to put her down if needed. We don't always have this up though, but useful to have.

@reekypear Hello. Pack and plays are too low to change a baby on. I dont know why that thing exists. It will kill your back.

If you get a small rolling crib/bassinet it seems like alot of people like those.
I have a rocking bassinet that’s not adjustable etc and it works fine. I have never (next to my sleeping husband) been like oh our screaming infant needs to eat? Let me do that in our bed while the other persons trying to sleep. In the dark. I always get up and go to the living room (also prevents midnight sheet changes and stops you from falling asleep while feeding in bed) Our bedroom is tiny, and I’m thankful I don’t have to pull the pack in play in the bedroom yet. Personally, I would get a bassinet and then sell that when you’re done and get a little bigger crib if you don’t go with the rolling bassinet/crib deal.

I prefer to change on the couch but a bed will work too. You can skip the changing table and get some waterproof mats and an extra set of sheets with a waterproof mattress cover.
I have a rocking chair/glider. I can tell you I live in it. But my baby likes rocking and hates pacifiers so that portion of soothing doesn’t help. When your baby is 7lbs and sleeps well, walking is no big deal. When your baby is 12lbs and fussy as hell, it’s a big deal. BUT it’s not a must if you don’t have the room.

That stroller is what I have, except mines like a evenflo or something. Anyway - yes. Make it all compatible and easy. The bassinet function is literally stuffed in my back room because it’s -4 here but it’ll convert into a toddler portion so yes that makes sense. I will say, you will use the hell out of whatever car seat/stroller you get so make sure it’s easy to click in, make sure it’s light, make sure it’s not too wide or hard to maneuver. If I could say to dump money into anything, it’s the car seat stroller. My car seat is very comfy for my baby, I passed on all the hard unpadded ones and I’m glad I did. But it’s also a pain in the ass to click in and get lined up and it’s very wide. I dare say for those reasons I hate it. Also, the straps don’t pull out easily. I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten a strap burn on his neck from it suddenly freeing up and coming loose all at once 🙄

@reekypear Yes, get a crib off the bat. Some start as mini cribs and you can convert later.

I liked to breastfeed in my bed. I have a soft rocking chair made of boucle but I don’t breastfeed there much. Our babysitter uses it to give bottles mostly.

That stroller looks great. I worried so much about not having a bassinet stroller….and guess what? I barely went for a walk with baby until she was almost too big for it. Mostly bc I was still recovering and it was so hot and sunny in the summer, too hot for baby. Glad I didn’t spend money to get it. I have a Nuna stroller that looks almost exactly like it but your price is better than that was.

Make sure you also spend time learning how to breathe in labor if you’re not planning a c section, what happens in postpartum, who, if anyone will support you, and talk with your partner about how the responsibilities will be split. I took classes but I felt still unprepared bc there is so much emphasis on the registry.

@reekypear An option you can consider to sub for a glider/recliner is the Ready Rocker. I have a glider in our nursery which has probably been my go-to spot to breastfeed bc it’s just works well with my BrestFriend to prop baby up. However, in the earlier days, I used the Ready Rocker in my bed. It’s a little contraption that goes behind you wherever you sit and let’s you rock. The one I have is the previous model (aka the 2.0)—but they recently redesigned them to collapse for easy storage/small spaces. If you find yourself using it a lot, then you know you need the actual chair! https://readyrocker.com

@reekypear I’d go for the play pen personally. I love mine in my bedroom. Just remember the changing portion has a weight limit (mine was 15lbs). I also just change baby where ever I am, floor, couch, bed, ottoman, on my car seats during trips, anywhere basically, so you may not need it.

I have a recliner/glider in the nursery but never use it. My baby doesn’t need to be rocked to sleep and I just breastfeed wherever I am.

Stroller seems like it would work, just make sure the car seat will fit in your car. I also store my main stroller in my car, so it doesn’t take up any space in my house. Once baby gets bigger I would get a travel stroller. I LOVE my Summer 3d Infant Lite.

@reekypear Rarely used our changing station on top of our baby’s dresser. Bought about six of these and change her on the bed, floor, and couch Changing Pad Liners [3 Pack Large] -Portable Changing Mat - 100% Waterproof - Absorbent - Unisex - Changing Table Cover - 19.5" x 27.5" (50cm x 70cm) - by Kinpa Baby (Black Set) https://a.co/d/fwL5yFd