Final week of pregnancy: 5k trail run and rock climbing

yburhannan82

I’m super proud of the effort my wife has made to stay active during pregnancy. Not every week has been easy, but she has managed to do all she can when she can.

Here she is finishing a half trail, half gravel 5k yesterday (5/10) with the baby due Sunday (5/13):

The day before that (5/9) she managed to climb a 5.12 crack at the gym:

Last week she got out for some multipitch climbing in the Linville Gorge Wilderness:

@yburhannan82 Meanwhile, I struggle to go up a flight of stairs and walk long distances lmao. Your wife is amazing and will hopefully help make labor and carrying baby much easier! Total badass

@joanieb88 If I 'overextend' myself by, say, going on a 1 mile walk, or sitting outside for 2 hours, the next day is hell with vomiting and fatigue. Do I just need to push through to exercise more or are some people just better suited to exercise during pregnancy? This lady is amazing and whether or not it's her extra effort or just chance that she's able to do these things, props to her!!

@amandaoconnor Honestly I think a lot of it depends on where you started. If you were a marathoner, continuing to run is easy. If you were an average, sedentary American, adding in exercise is tougher.

@katrina2017 I was mostly an average sedentary American except that I was in a good running routine, doing 6-10 miles a week. My runs went to shit and I was tired all the time starting around 5wks which was actually a primary reason I took a pregnancy test!

@amandaoconnor Oh man my cardio has been trash since I got pregnant. I blame all the extra blood volume! My lifts are holding steady though, so I'm telling myself the cardio will come back eventually and as long as I'm still moving I'm doing fine.

@amandaoconnor Effort plus luck, I’d say. During second trimester she felt like baby was up in her lungs, and it made exertion harder than now. Over the past few weeks, baby has dropped lower, and it’s made some things like breathing easier

@yburhannan82 Nice! Does she wear some type of belly support? I was doing pretty good until recently. Seems like even a long-ish speed walk makes my belly ache from the weight/bounce? My stomach isn't even that big either, especially considering I'm 31 weeks.

@laurieanne She tried a support belt but didn’t like it. She had no trouble going uphill and flat without it, but had to slow way down going very steep downhill due to the weird weight distribution

Back