Everyone things I'm crazy for being excited

@katholischen_miliz I’m so happy for you. As someone who has ADHD, running has always been incredibly valuable for me. Taking a hyper kid with behavioral issues and encouraging them to hone their running skills is pretty counterintuitive, but nothing has been better for helping me develop a sense of discipline and self esteem.

Also, I got a bunch of college scholarships for running, so that’s a thing too. I didn’t end up going to that school, but I was offered a full ride (room, board, tuition, living expenses) to a very expensive liberal arts school. Sooo... that’s a thing too. Nobody ever thinks about running being a legit sport with scouts, but it is.

@katholischen_miliz As a fellow non-verbal, lovable son mom, I am LITERALLY jumping up and down for you! A sense of belonging and accomplishment are so valuable! Seeing the natural talent and not the "disability"...that Coach should get an award.

@katholischen_miliz I'm sobbing as I try to read this thru blurred lenses..what a happy post, what a great day this must be for you and your son. Understanding neurodiversity isn't super common, as we both know, and I just wanted to congratulate you for making it and sharing your positive experience with us. Way to go, mom..way to go! Take this giant bear-hug as a token of my love and support. Hell yes.

@katholischen_miliz Congratulations! Truthfully I probably would have make the same joke. My son ( I think is on the spectrum but was probably to high functioning-doctors words) was an amazing climber. Like on the roof in less the five at age 3. People said the same thing to me when I got him rock climbing lesson. That was his super power. Running is your son power . 😊

@katholischen_miliz I got a little choked up reading this.

My son started cross country in 3rd grade. His coach took interest in this boy that was a year older than my son, he was non verbal as well.
Fast forward to this year, my son is a freshman, his teammate a sophomore. As I reflect over their years as teammates it’s quite unbelievable to see the changes in this kid. He’s really good, but the relief in his mother’s eyes to see him accepted and loved by his teammates just wrecks me at every meet. I have so much love and respect for their coach. Him taking interest was literally life changing.

I believe all energy can be fierce when channeled in the right direction, looks like your guy may have found his!