Everyone seems to have a routine, and I feel like I’m just winging it…is this okay or should I make adjustments? I’m trying to build a stash

isuphloyd

I am 4 weeks PP and have been feeding on demand exclusively on the breast. Baby eats anywhere from every 1-3 hours, sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes he just hangs out for 45. He goes 3 hours pretty consistently through the night. He’s gaining weight and I’m confident that my supply is adequate at this point to get him what he needs.

I started consistently pumping to help build my stash about 1.5 weeks ago. I have one session most mornings where I get about 4 ounces, and then I’ve been trying to get at least one, sometimes two additional sessions in throughout the day where I’ll get about 2-3 ounces. I always pump after he’s eaten, but if he’s fussy, I hold off so that whatever I have can be ready for him. My pump sessions (outside of the morning) are just at random times, and like I said, sometimes they happen, sometimes they don’t based on what the babe it doing.

Just for context, we plan to start trying for our 2nd pretty much as soon as we get the green light to do so (assuming I ovulate). I know that supply can drop with pregnancy, which is why I’d like to build up as much as possible should this happen so that baby #1 can continue receiving breast milk. I haven’t introduced the bottle yet and I’m not really sure when, as I plan to stay at home with him, but know at some I will need to.

Moral of this story….I feel like I’m doing okay? But then I read posts and it feels like I need to be more rigid with my schedule in order to increase my supply for stash building, I don’t know just looking for a “hey, just keep it up!” Or a “nah girl you need to do x,y,z”

@isuphloyd Ha, everyone who claims to have a routine at 4 weeks pp is either lying or joking. Or they believe winging it is a routine ;-) you do you, enjoy every moment and don't let others make you second guess yourself!

@isuphloyd 18w pp ftm here! You're doing great. Don't stress on a schedule. At 4 weeks pp, your supply is still regulating and if you go overboard on supplemental pumping on top of nursing, you risk oversupply which can make nursing uncomfortable for baby (gagging/sputtering/etc), plus lead to excessive leaking/clogging/etc for you.

Start trying bottles soon though! Start with empty bottles during playtime to see what babe naturally gravitates towards (try different bottle styles). Give a small bottle to babe when they're not hungry and generally happy (like just before napping aka a double feed). Work your way up to from there. Try both fresh and frozen milk over time to check for any aversions to stored milk.

@isuphloyd I have no advice but just wanted to post for solidarity. I’m 4 weeks PP too and your first paragraph sounds exactly like my experience. Some days he only feeds for 9-13 minutes per session, other days it is 30-40 mins per session. It’s difficult making plans because some days he feeds every 2-3 hours while other days are 1-2 hours.

We introduced the bottle this week and he seems to be taking it well. I am off work for the next year but I wanted to have the option of being a away from him for more than 2-3 hours so the bottle gives me that opportunity.

@isuphloyd I am the same only 5.5 weeks pp. I would recommend trying the bottle soon though. We started at 3 weeks and I currently have a bottle refuser. Trying to work through that and have gone through multiple bottles and approaches. I still have hope since it’s early enough but Wish I would have started immediately.

@isuphloyd If it helps, I pretty much have no routine and spend most of my life winging it. And my babe is 6 months.

This is a huge life changing thing, you do what you have to do to survive, especially in the early weeks. You absolutely got this

@isuphloyd There’s not really a routine at 4 weeks. Just do what you can. If you’re nursing 90-100% of the time, then pumping 2x per day to build a stash is sufficient. Also. supply doesn’t necessarily drop while pregnant. More so in the third trimester. Colostrum is produced at 20 weeks even if it doesn’t leak. Supply tends to drop in women who are exclusively pumping as opposed to exclusively nursing. You have a better chance of getting pregnant if you introduce the bottle and then even more when the baby night weans/STTN.

I got pregnant at 9 months pp.

@dlr If you don’t mind me asking, were you exclusively pumping/ bottle feeding when you got pregnant? Did you continue to BF for a portion or even all of your pregnancy?
I’m curious about navigating getting/ being pregnant while continuing to BF. (And perhaps there’s nothing to be curious about- just another thing to wing!!!😆)