Driving 5/ 6 hours (without counting breaks) for Thanksgiving with a 2 month old. Would you do it?

@graced1257 Nope. Don't do it.

My very good friends had a newborn last Christmas, I think the baby was between 1-3 months. They traveled to see family, a similar drive, and they regretted badly. Too many family members for too young of a baby in an unfamiliar environment when Mom and Dad are utterly exhausted and spent. Draw your boundary. Take care of yourselves and baby and there will be many more holidays to spend togethet.

@graced1257 If you can't afford to go, you can't afford to go. Are they going to pay for the medical bills if your baby ends up hospitalized from getting sick? I doubt it. If they can back out because of not being able to afford it, well then guess what? So can you.

Video chat and call it good.

@graced1257 No. You have a lot of reasons not to go. My answer was no after only reading the title, and everything else you wrote only made my no more emphatic.

My baby was very young last Thanksgiving. We had dinner at home (we bought a few sides from restaurants) and did about a 45 minute Zoom with my family afterward. Do that instead.

@graced1257 We had a similar experience when our son was about 2 months old. We had a wedding across the country to go to. We mostly went because my husband’s grandparents live there and that could very well be the last time we see them and only chance to get them to meet our kid. This was still in pandemic times.

Our family help with our flights and we split an airbnb with siblings. We did have to pay to board our dog.

We flew from Atlanta to Redmond, Oregon. It took two flights and 24 hours each way.

It was worth it to us because it was an opportunity and memory that we otherwise may never have had.

But it was DIFFICULT. And stressful. We masked up, wiped everything with disinfectant wipes, and sanitized/washed our hands and the baby’s religiously.

You have to weigh the opportunity cost.

@graced1257 We drove 10 hours, not including stops, with a 3-month-old. we were stopping every 2 hours to feed and stretch the baby. It was hell, I never would have done it if it weren't for a funeral. I don't recommend it.

@graced1257 I’m thinking if this were my family and me, absolutely not lol. At 2 months, I was hunkered down and exhausted. That, plus the risk of RSV/flu/etc. and the long drive, it wouldn’t happen.

@graced1257 Ours will be just about 3 months, and we have a 2.5 year old. We usually go to my in-laws 4 hours away. We will probably not go this year, just too much effort and too much stuff to pack. It'll take like a day to organize and pack everything needed, and the just as much time to unpack when we get home (which really means me doing most of the work). It's hard being away from all of your stuff. Plus sickness, potentially bad weather depending on where you live (mid-west for us).

Just not worth the hassle and effort. Makes me tried just thinking about it. Make your own tradition. Or, if it's not important to you, you could have husband go on his own if you can hold down the fort for a few days.

@graced1257 Super duper depends on your situation and how badly you all want to go, if LO has their first round of vaccines, if you can trust family members to not come if they are sick/be diligent about washing hands, little one’s temperament and sleep habits, etc.

I was taking my son on 5-6 hour trips (turned into more like 8-9 hours with stops) by the time he turned 8 weeks old and it wasn’t too bad, but it wasn’t during the sick season and we weren’t going to gatherings.

I’d probably pass on it unless it’s something that you believe is worth it knowing all of the potential stressors and risks.

@graced1257 I personally wouldn't. I skipped my son's first Thanksgiving when he was a month old. Although we did go to Christmas that year but I made sure to schedule his two month vaccines before that and didn't let him get passed around. And it was right next door so I could just go home if needed.

Aside from that, both of my kids screamed in the car at that age and made even rides to the grocery store miserable.

@graced1257 No. Your concerns are valid. Holidays are wonderful to spend with family but missing one will not hurt anyone.

I didn’t take my 3 month old on a 3 hour trip because I knew it was just too long and would be uncomfortable for him.

@graced1257 The distance isn’t the problem form my perspective (though in Australia you have to be used to long drives and I’ve done 6 hours a few times with my baby) but if it’s going to cost you all that money and have to get a dog sitter etc then I wouldn’t bother

@graced1257 No. Just no. It’s too long for a 2 month old to be in the car seat, and with all of the relatives- there are too many potential illness “sharers”. Flu, Covid, RSV and other viral illnesses are making the rounds. It’s ok to sit home this year to protect your baby and to continue bonding and healing. 💞

@graced1257 Absolutely not. My family wanted me to drive an hour with my one month old for Easter dinner at a restaurant. There was no way I was about to do that. I was still barely getting sleep and we had no sort of routine or schedule. It was exhausting to be home with the baby, no way I was taking her out. Plus all the germs freaked me out.