Does HCG actually slow down after 1200mIU/ml in a healthy pregnancy?

lucia398

I see it mentioned all over the internet that doubling can slow to 72-96 hours at this point without a source in sight. Anecdotally, it looks like a lot of healthy pregnancies maintain a higher rate for a bit longer.

My doubling was initially under 48hours and then tanked to 66 hours after 1200.

Edit:

Just to add, I found this study on doubling time where they found that the "mean and upper 85% confidence limit of DT over this range [0-6500 mIU/ml] in hCG concentration were 2.11 and 2.24 days, respectively" and "However, reported normal values have ranged from1.4 to 3.5 days."

I also found this study which shows the mean between 1200-6000 was 2 days, and using an 85% confidence limit, doubling time >2.6 days would be considered abnormal between 1200-6000miUL/ml.

@lucia398 In my personal experience, no. I see this referenced all the time on this subreddit but with my successful pregnancy, they slowed but still had under 48hr doubling time until over 10k. In my 5 miscarriages, slowing past 48hrs under 10k was the beginning of the end. Again, just my experience.

@lucia398 I’m really sorry you’ve gone through RPL as well. Fingers crossed it’s all normal and fine. It’s hard when you have a traumatic loss experience to not expect the worst.

@lucia398 How did things turn out for you? I am 6 weeks and my Hcg tanked too. It was doubling every 35 hours but then only went from 1451-5515 in 5 days (62 hour doubling) just trying to find some more hope or do I expect another miscarriage

@unenchantedlight What are your thoughts on these numbers?

So, my betas were looking good from 9 DPO to 16 DPO. Then I got sick and couldn’t go in for the blood draws for a week. I finally got a chance to go in today (24 DPO) and based on my calculations, I think my latest beta is too low.

16 DPO: 380

24 DPO: 3951

I think it should be more around 6000 but I’m not sure when it stops doubling every 48 hours.

I really don’t want false hope as I’ve had many miscarriages.

@dardan Yea, I guess it's just weird that I can't find the actual source for that even though it's referenced so often.

Looking at betabase, the most common doubling time after 2000mIU/ml was 32-45 hours, then 45-65. There was a very steep drop-off but then the next most common was 64-90. I also don't love betabase due to their definition of viability, so I kind of sideeye numbers on the outskirts of average on there.

@lucia398 There’s a table (it’s yellow, scroll til you see it) in this babymed article that comes from a study (linked below the table). I didn’t check all the doubling times, but just eyeballing it, they definitely slow down!

@sls2labs Thanks for this study. It's hard to tell based on medians, but the median went from 1187 on 19dpo to 2681 on 21dpo, which is a ~40 hour doubling time. So still doubling fast.

@lucia398 Yes this is why I question beta base! Also, I saw someone post a screen shot of submitting their betas ..before a heartbeat was detected.. and ever since then I’ve been super doubtful lol.

@sjp51 Another reason I DONT like beta base is a lot of us see heartbeats and go on to have miscarriages. And I have put a pregnancy in there where my betas were very bad but I saw a heartbeat of 100 at 6 weeks so I submitted it . There was no way to me to take the information off of the site .

@516angelnell Totally agree! It just has that as it’s criteria so I after I saw that I figured a lot of people have probably done the same thing. I didn’t submit mine until I had a live birth. I wish that’s what their criteria was.