Do people with kids work *harder*?

@porcelainchild I’m mid-30s, so right in the middle of the millennial generation, and I agree that most aren’t buying into the company loyalty game anymore either. However, (at least among people I know), that is more of a recent thing. Many of us played the game at first or tried to. Gen Z came out of the gate not even trying lol.

@cins That’s because company loyalty doesn’t exist. Millennials have been learning this the hard way since 2008, and we are pretty much all there now. Gen Z doesn’t even bother, which is good. That means the workplace will continue to move in a direction to ensure talent is retained. Gen Z don’t fall for the free lunch/ping pong table crap in exchange for their soul. It’ll have to be something much more substantial, like oh, long maternity leave with job security.

@porcelainchild The top 1% is about $800k a year not $150k. $150k a year in Boston will barely get u a studio condo on your own. This comment is pretty out of touch. I’m an older millennial that never got any help from family and it was so hard, I cannot imagine trying to do what I did in today’s economy. So yeah they don’t kill themselves at work and I don’t blame them.

@porcelainchild Not in a very HCOL area. I’m a nurse and I made $135k working 32 hours a week last year and trust me it doesn’t go far with 3 kids in Boston. Any place where new college grads are making $150k, is probably a HCOL.

I need to know what industry and LCOL state she is in so I can go back to school and move there. But yeah I guess $150k would put them in the top 1% of 23 year olds. But any place where a kid is making that much money probably has average home prices in the $700k to $1 million range. With rents ranging from $2500-$5k a month depending on the apartment. So you arent going to feel “rich” earning that.

@katrina2017
it doesn’t go far with 3 kids in Boston

You keep missing the context that I'm talking about single people with no dependents. And yes you're right that any place with new grads making that much is HCOL/VHCOL, but not to the point where they can complain about having to do work for that much money. And a one bedroom apartment here is $2 - $2.5k, which is still less than 30% of their gross income. The only way you'd be paying $5k for an apartment for one person to live in is if you're going for exteme luxury, and at that points it's a personal budgeting issue. Additionally, people who start out at near the 1% income level as new grads often continue to remain that way as they get older (ie they're going to be the families making $800k in 10 years).

It is extremely entitled to be making more than entire families make and complain that expectations on you are higher.

@porcelainchild My husbands makes $140k. And I’m lucky to have that. It’s my not entire family. But I’m also going back to this is becoming a sub about how gen z doesn’t work hard and not what it’s like balancing work with children. I remember hearing about how I didn’t want to work hard when I had trouble getting a job during the recession. Sweetheart, I’m not out of touch.

@katrina2017 I’m not sure why you got downvoted, but you’re right. The top 1% where I live is $800k. $150-$200k is like the average COMBINED income of middle America nowadays lmao

@123ab $150k is solid middle class. Sometimes I find this sub really helpful and supportive and sometimes I find that it’s more about woman criticizing others who don’t “work as hard as them.” It’s really odd. I work but let’s be real, there are so many other things I’d rather do.

@cins It's because Gen X and millennials were sold this idea that hardwork is almost always rewarded and that's not the case anymore. It made sense since it worked for the boomers so we all bought it. There was still some truth to that for the financially savvy of Gen X but not for millennials and so Gen Z just aren't buying it. They're not working hard and making sacrifices for the raise or promotion that will never come and they're not killing themselves to save up a down payment on a home they'll never be able to afford.

My husband and I had 3 incomes right up until our son was born. We both had full-time jobs and one of us had a part-time job for about 7 years. It allowed us to buy a shitty condo townhouse out in the suburbs. A year later an almost identical house down the block sold for $113k more than what we paid. No 20-something (without family money) can afford that or hope to increase their income as fast as the price of a home is increasing. They're not interested in chasing something that will likely never be so yeah, they take their vacations and try to enjoy their lives. We did the urban struggle thing and we were able to succeed against the odds, but like, where did my 20s go?

We have much to learn from this generation. As the boomers retire in droves and these guys take their place we likely see wages continue to stagnate, but working conditions improve and I'm pretty okay with that.

@cins This has been my experience too with Gen Z, I truly don’t understand it. Maybe because they started working remote during the pandemic?

However, I’ve had some weird experiences- once I asked someone to come to the office on a Wednesday, he literally told me Wednesday doesn’t work for him can we do Thursday?

I suppose the one day didn’t matter for that task, but to clarify we are not approved WFH employees. We just had that freedom to decide when we needed to be in the office/ able to wfh.

I said sure, but I would never do that when I started working!!!!!

@ryantgarant Or this new attitude they will make the US economy drop out of the global race- lol

Well silverlining-
One of my pet peeves is our government doesn’t care about families because they can always have highly skilled immigrants come and work. However, if our economy were to drop out of the global race, it will become less competitive and they will be forced to offer national childcare services and tax incentives for families.

@porcelainchild Yeah, I guess age, having kids and being more senior go hand in hand. But then if you are younger and not trying as hard, you never get to senior. I am just curious where the hard working younger folks are at?

@whitm11 Meh, a lot of young people are not buying into the often false narrative that working non-stop and off the clock will actually pay off.

After all it’s years later, you worked hard when you were their age and you still aren’t at a point with a good work life balance. So why should they bother working their asses off if it doesn’t really make a difference?