Different recommendations for TDaP vaccinations?

@elam84 I’m in the US and had a similar experience as you both times. They recommended anyone spending extended time with baby get it (or had it within 10yrs) such as direct caregivers but usually just parents. They didn’t check to see if my husband had it and he went to his own doctor separately. I’m always surprised when people are posting about making extended family get it just to meet the baby

Even the CDC says cocooning isn’t necessarily helpful or reasonable

@michaelwb67 When my nephew was born there was a whooping cough outbreak in NYC where he lived. Everyone who visited had to have the shot.

I don’t blame them for the rule either. Whooping cough kills babies.

@michaelwb67 The CDC doesn't say the cocooning isn't helpful, they just say that it might not be feasible. My husband and I chose to ask everyone who was going to be around our infant to have an updated flu, COVID, and TDaP. We also asked people to mask per our pediatrician's recommendations since our son had an issue with his liver.

He was born in the fall and we had a horrible outbreak of COVID, flu, and RSV. Every one in our small friend group complied as did my parents. People who didn't just haven't met our kid.

@elam84 The reason why mom needs to get it during pregnancy is more so the baby can get immunity. Anyone who will be in contact with baby should have gotten it within the last 10 years.

@kjbbeliever I’m in Canada, my husband is a family physician & based on the guidelines he follows, I was the only one to get a booster. My OB follows the same guidelines.

@kjbbeliever I'm in Canada and had the same experience as OP... I had one of the top OBs in Vancouver, not that means it's good advice, just that I think it is standard advice. I don't know anyone who was told everyone around baby needs to get a booster.

@waterflow May also vary by province. In ab you can get boosters every 10 yrs for free if you book via health services or if you do it at a pharmacy you have to pay.

@jojo2 Exactly this. There is a schedule of immunization that Health Canada recommends; however, as we have provincial/territorial healthcare systems and not a national system, recommendations around vaccinations vary between jurisdictions within Canada.

@elam84 I'm in the UK and did a bit of googling when I had my baby as I saw lots online about people not allowing visitors unless they were vaccinated or not going out with baby until they were vaccinated. The conclusion I came to was that we had generally higher vaccination rates in the UK so there was less likely to be an outbreak in the community and therefore less risk than in the US. Same for other diseases like measles.

@gabjensnsn123 I’m in Germany and when I asked my OBGYN about it, she gave me a perplexed look. It’s not something that’s regularly given to pregnant women or those that are in close contact with the baby here.

@elam84 I’m in the US and my OB said as long as my husband is up to date (had tdap booster within the last 10 years) there’s no need to worry about him getting another one. She did say that even if he wasn’t, the biggest impact for the baby is me getting the tdap booster third trimester

@elam84 I believe the reason is historical - before they knew the effect of vaccination during pregnancy and how protected the fetus was, they recommended cocooning. Now they have found the 28 week vaccination confers significant protection to the resulting baby, so cocooning isn't necessary, but the US has 3747261635 places offering guidelines whereas Canada is more centralized. So like all healthcare in the US, everyone just kind of makes their own decision and all doctors advise differently.

@elam84 That's interesting as I also live in Canada and, while recently pregnant, I got the TDaP booster, as did my husband and both sets of grandparents. It was all covered as they were all due to have boosters anyway.

I recognize that each province/territory decides what is funded publically and what patients have to pay for out of pocket, but our little group of family members live across 1 territory and 2 provinces and the shots were covered in each jurisdiction.