Daycare vs. Income Effects on Child Behavior: Weighing the Evidence

damacri

One way to compare the effects of income vs. daycare on children’s behavior is to look at the effect sizes of both inputs. The effect size is how much of an effect the specific input variable has on the output variable.

It is a little tricky to do this though because you need to look at standardized measurements to compare across models/papers (basically so you’re comparing apples to apples). Another issue is that smaller studies tend to have inflated effect sizes and are less reliable. The third issue in comparing effect sizes is publication bias because positive results (aka results showing there is a difference) are easier to publish than null results (results showing there is no difference).

The best way to get around these issues is a meta-analysis. These look at (1) the strength of the evidence weighted by sample size, (2) the combined effect sizes across studies, and (3) test for publication bias in the literature (usually).

SES Meta-Analysis

For instance, when looking at the effect of income on antisocial behaviors, Piotrowska et al. (2015) identified 133 studies containing data suitable for effect size calculation, and 139 independent effect sizes were analysed (total N = 339 868). Their global meta-analysis showed that lower family socioeconomic status was associated with higher levels of antisocial behaviour.” The effect size was around 0.1. They did not find evidence of publication bias. ((income and antisocial behavior meta-analysis))

Peverill et al. similarly showed the following: “Among 26,715 participants aged 3–19 years, we observed small to moderate associations of low family income (g = 0.19), low Hollingshead index (g = 0.21), low subjective SES (g = 0.24), low parental education (g = 0.25), poverty status (g = 0.25), and receipt of public assistance (g = 0.32) with higher levels of childhood psychopathology. Moderator testing revealed that receipt of public assistance showed an especially strong association with psychopathology and that SES was more strongly related to externalizing than internalizing psychopathology.” They did not find evidence of publication bias. (SES and child psychopathology))

Letourneau et al. (2013) used a smaller number of papers in their meta-analysis, but still found a small significant effect low SES on children’s language skills, aggression, and internalizing behaviors/depression. ((SES and child development smaller meta-analysis))

Korous et al. did a systematic review (ie. gathered all the papers) of meta-analyses that looked at SES and cognition. Across these studies, “We identified 14 meta-analyses published between 1982 and 2019. These meta-analyses consistently reported positive associations of small to medium magnitude, indicating that SES is a meaningful contributor to the development of cognitive ability and achievement.” ((SES and cognition))

Fowler et al. (2009) looked at how neighborhood safety affected mental health in a meta-analysis. They found that exposure to community violence was associated with Externalizing behaviors, PTSD, and internalizing behaviors. ((crime and mental health meta-analysis).)

There are several more high quality studies not quoted, but in summary, there is a strong and consistent effect of income & SES more broadly on child development, especially cognition and aggression.

Daycare Meta-Analysis

Unfortunately, the data on daycare’s effects is MUCH weaker and sparser than the literature on income. There are no meta-analyses (at least to my knowledge) of the effects of daycare on child behavior.

There is one meta-analysis on how daycare effects cortisol levels. This meta-analysis only included 9 studies and the combined number of children was 303. This is extremely small (smaller than many single studies in the income literature), which is unfortunate. Their effect size was r=.18 and they did not check for publication bias using a funnel plot, like many of the income studies did. ((daycare and cortisol))

While this is the best evidence to date, it is not definitive nor is it particularly strong. Also, it is important to note that high cortisol does not always translate to behavior, though it has been shown to have ill effects in mice. However, chronically stressed individuals are actually shown to have a blunting of their cortisol response system (basically they cannot appropriately respond to a stressor because they are burnt out) in many human studies. I’d suggest looking at studies with the Trier social stress test if you’re curious about hormonal blunting.

Conclusions:

It’s too bad that the daycare literature as a whole is not as reliable or as well studied. I would say we definitively know that having a lower income is related to behavior problems and lowered cognition in children. We have some evidence that daycare may be stressful as measured by increased cortisol. In weighing these two thing, I think it’s important to remember the relative weight of the evidence. The daycare evidence is weak, so I wouldn’t base my decisions on it personally. It is way more important to do what is right for your family!! If one parent wants to stay home with a child and you can live a comfortable lifestyle doing that, then stay home with your child. If both parents want to work, then work.

If you want to hedge your bets with the daycare literature, having a grandparent or other relative care for your child may be best (assuming they are competent - I didn’t even get into all the parenting quality studies, but caregiving quality matters). That way you don’t need to spend money on childcare and the baby gets one on one attention. A nanny may be similar in terms of 1:1 attention, but comes with a steeper price tag than daycare. There isn’t a ton of literature on whether that’s worth it, but based on the “quality of daycare mattering” studies that show a low child to caregiver ratio is better, it may be another great option.

Edit: Since this has come up on other posts, I want to note that the income literature shows effects on child behavior across multiple reporters (parents, teachers, observers, clinicians). This is not true of the daycare literature, which fails to show a parent reporter effect.

@damacri I am really glad this sub is unpacking the science around daycare beyond the blog post that is shared here as if it were the bible. Some of the conclusions in those studies linked in that post claim an effect size so large, i.e. 20% increase in criminality from exposure to Quebec's universal daycare program, that it should send up alarm bells about potential confounding variables.

And on the cortisol levels, there's a gap between understanding that long term high cortisol levels leads to negative effects, and understanding if elevated cortisol levels at daycare are sufficient and long lasting enough to create those impacts. Furthermore, is higher average cortisol driven by a few outliers (ie kids that don't do well in that environment, or new kids that are adjusting?) Do kids who don't go to daycare show elevated levels of cortisol when they start pre-school or kindergarten?

I agree with the conclusion of the blog post that a good way of being sure there's no negative impact would be to give more parental leave to Americans. But given the weak evidence, drawing strong conclusions about negative impacts from daycare does little other than to guilt those who have no other options. Don't get me wrong - these things should be investigated, and we should be willing to question whether daycare, especially for young kids, has negative impacts even though, sadly, in the US, many working parents have few options. I find it somewhat irresponsible to overstate the confidence of the conclusions given that context.

@dreamylala Agreed! What bothers me is people are making real world decisions based off the blog post when the truth is the daycare literature is just not robust. The blog post ignores some of the evidence we do have (maternal report studies) and makes it seem like it’s a well researched topic. It just isn’t (yet). Clearly many people want to know about the effects of daycare, so we should work on studying it more!! I wish we had better data!

I don’t want Reddit to jump on me for saying this (and I can back it up with literature if desired), but not all parents are equal in quality either. Parenting quality is a huge factor in child development. Not every parent should stay home with their kids full time. It’s a hard job and takes a certain type of person. Though I do wish every parent had the option to stay home with their kids as babies and a longer leave in the US. It would be awesome if we could also give parents more supports and teach them various ways to be an excellent parents (lots of good options, not one “right” approach).

@damacri Yeah I find this interesting - the original article I believe alludes to this (impact of daycare is about 2/3 the impact of having a moderately depressed mother) but I think doesn’t necessarily comment on how many parents might experience mental health struggles and declines in parenting quality if they are full time parenting, and how you might have a selection bias going on in the parents who choose to send their kids, which might influence outcomes.

@dreamylala Same here. I stumbled across this sub through that article and I could never understand why it’s passed down as ‘what you need to read to make your decision’. It’s a blog post, a very biased one.

@dreamylala For what it’s worth, I found this interview with an (independent) economist on the Quebec outcomes quite interesting. The original research has been replicated a couple times. I haven’t seen any research that has called the outcomes of those studies into serious question but would very much be interested in seeing relevant studies on the outcomes of the Quebec model I may have missed!

@follow_the_word Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciated the study down at the bottom that actually looked at causality and measured actual attendance at daycare. And actually, that study confirmed two suspicions I had.

First, it is important to note that both the BGM and the above linked study are measuring the impacts of the policy, not of daycare itself. I think that is critical, because in the context of the post we all discuss and guidance offered to individuals with the assumption that attending daycare causes these issues. That is actually not what this study finds per se - because it finds that the effects of changes on behavior are greatest in families most likely to be swayed by the reduced cost of daycare, it's probably not daycare itself that is creating these changes. That study then concludes:

Composed of negative and statistically insignificant effects, the underlying pattern in the treatment effects highlight substantial heterogeneity. The authors conclude by presenting suggestive evidence of large reductions in parental investments for these children once their children begin to attend subsidized childcare. Thus, we postulate that home inputs are important and that interventions within schools may only reinforce at home preparation for a small fraction of the population. For the remainder, the changes in school inputs may be offset as parents substitute their investments into their children towards other activities. However, the extent and pattern of heterogeneity in parental input decisions has not been fully investigated. These results do not imply poor parenting skills, but may indicate that parents have limited knowledge of their child’s human capital production function and make optimization errors when choosing inputs. [Emphases Mine]

In my sort of best attempt to translate the economics-ese at the end of that quote, I believe what they're saying is that a lot of parents who were swayed by the availability of free daycare wrongly assume that daycare is a sufficient replacement for parental engagement and don't do enough at home when they're kids are in daycare. While income isn't measured in this study, this would also track with the findings that most benefits of are found in low-income families, where daycare is better than the lower parental engagement associated with low SES.

And the kicker at the end of that abstract is:

the exact workings of universal childcare programs on child development are far from obvious

The paper doesn't recommend anyone not send their kids to daycare. It suggests that when crafting universal daycare policies, there is a set of people highly swayed by them that for some reason likely become less involved parents. We need to understand why that is and design policies to address those concerns.

Critically, this seriously undercuts the utility of the BGM and confirming studies as tools for guiding individual daycare decision-making. And in fact, I'd venture to say that if someone is posting on a science-based parenting Reddit, they are way more likely than the average parent to understand their child's "human capital production function", that is to say that they're very likely to be highly engaged parents.

@follow_the_word Does the Quebec model talk about the age of those attending daycare? In 1996 parental leave in Canada (incl. Quebec) was 6 months. In 2000 it increases to one year and in 2019 it increases further to 18 months.

Were there differences in outcomes between 1996 and 2000 daycare cohort?

@grace4nan My understanding is that in 1997, the program was opened to four year olds, then in 1998 three year olds, then in 1999 two year olds and in 2000, 0 and 1 year olds. So it wouldn’t be possible to run the analysis you are describing.

But I believe the 2019 paper, at least, controls for “years of exposure” to daycare and finds more significant effects the more years a child is exposed.

They also do call out daycare quality - that daycare quality in Quebec was lower quality than some other programs which may explain some of the effect (about 60% of centers were judged to be at minimal quality) and about 25% were high quality, but that that number is comparable to the distribution in many developed countries).

@follow_the_word Ah ok, interesting! I did not know that. "Universal" daycare is being rolled out in the rest of Canada now, so I guess this study wasn't enough to deter the federal government from moving forward

@damacri I’d look beyond just income studies. There’s the whole field of social determinants of health that looks at negative outcomes on health based on affluence. Being poor is terrible for all health outcomes, even in places with socialized health care. Even if daycare has a negative impact it’s often necessary. It’s like all the breastfeeding benefits don’t matter if your body doesn’t produce milk because the alternative is the baby starving.

@bryony Agreed re: social determinants of health. My title is misleading (would change it to SES if I could), but the reviews look at a variety of different types of SES.

I didn’t include the parental stress or nutrition or healthcare access or racism literature though. Those are also important components (along with other social determinants of health), but do tend to track with more traditional measures of SES in the US.

@damacri Thank you, this is fascinating! Quick question - do the income effects scale linearly? How robust is the effect size at different income levels?

Is there a common way these studies define “low SES”? For example, I might wonder if there is some significant impact in antisocial outcomes at the lowest income level but each marginal dollar beyond middle class/meeting basic needs is less meaningful in terms of child outcomes?

@follow_the_word It’s a great question! It’s really hard to say if there is a plateau above which income does not matter. Meta-analyses are not designed to answer this question well unfortunately. However, across most of the individual studies included in the meta-analyses, most used a linear model. This would indicate that higher income across the spectrum was related to better behavior with a constant slope (same amount of change per dollar amount).

A caveat here is that the same unit change (ex. A one point change in behavior, may be much more impactful at the extremes than in the middle).

Another issues is that these studies would fail to capture an income plateau if it was quite high. There aren’t that many high SES individuals in general and they often aren’t the target population of studies. And, speaking of the “target population,” many studies target lower income participants because they tend to have the worst outcomes. They are over sampled in the literature in order to find risk and resilience factors that may be useful targets in interventions. The optimization of child development at higher incomes is a less common research focus, at least for US funding bodies, though there is some money devoted to that as well.

Edit TLDR; A long winded way of saying, it’s not clear!

Edit 2: There was a new interesting paper out recently that showed happiness does not plateau with increasing income, contrary to what was previously thought. Income and Well-being Study. So it’s totally possible there is no plateau.

@damacri I admittedly only skimmed several of these links, but it seems like the literature tends toward a broad notion of SES that encompasses multiple factors (income for sure, but also education, marital status, job prestige etc). It's not really clear to me how a loss of income would necessarily map to change in SES. Presumably they correlate, but how strongly?

@robertvox A couple responses to this:

(1) Forms of SES correlate fairly strongly, but estimates vary depending on what measure you include.

(2) Some of the meta-analyses that use multiple kids of SES separate the types of SES out and look at the effect of each domain. For instance, Perverill et al. estimates that the effect of just income influences behavior (effect size of 0.19), even though it uses multiple ways of measuring SES.

(3) Choosing to stay home with a child instead of working and sending a child to daycare may effect multiple forms of SES. (My title is a bit too narrow - would change it if I could). I’d argue that choosing to stay home to care for a child affects more than just income, at least for some families. Families may not be able to afford to live in as nice of an area (related to neighborhood poverty, crime rates, and school quality since it’s tied to property taxes, at least in the US). Subjective SES also could drop, as stay-at-home moms tend to have a lower subjective social status than those in high powered jobs/employed outside the home (unfortunately). They also do not wield as much social capita. In certain cases, stay-at-home moms may also be forgoing further education.

@damacri I'm going to go back to work in a few months, when my baby is around 12 months old. I know it might not be the best thing for him, but it's the best for me. Does it make me selfish, probably. But am I going to feel guilty? No. Because my husband is aware of these studies and isn't offering to drop out of the workforce to care for our child either.

Fwiw, we would be middle to high income with just one of us working and definitely high income with both working. Which means the income info is less relevant since we aren't poor if one person stays home.

Back