Daycare is NOT associated with behavior problems in 10,000+ children across 5 countries

damacri

There is been significant debate on this sub about daycare and it’s effects on children’s externalizing behaviors (I.e. disruptive behaviors, behavior problems, etc). A new study out in Child Development shows that the number of hours that a child spends in center-based daycares is not related to the child’s externalizing behaviors!! The correlation was 0.00 with a p value of .88.

This study is unique because it had a very large number of children (n=10,105) across 5 counties (2 studies in the US, 2 in Canada, 1 in the Netherlands, 1 in Germany and 1 in Norway). The authors also used longitudinal studies so they could examine both within-person effects (fixed effects) and between-person effects (random effects). Examining within-person effects is helpful because it provides a more stringent control for natural variation in externalizing symptoms that are not caused by center-based care. The studies also included both maternal-report and teacher-report of externalizing symptoms. Finally, they tested both linear and non-linear effects to see if there were any differences at “extreme” numbers of hours.

Across all types of models, they found little to no support for the hypothesis that the number of hours spent in daycare was related to externalizing problems. These analyses were robust to multiple covariates like family income and maternal education, as well as number of siblings, a new sibling in the family, single family households, and parental employment.

Additionally, the authors tested whether family income moderated the effects of daycare on behavior problems (i.e., if there were differences in the associations for low income or high income families). They did not find evidence of any moderation by income.

Overall, these findings suggest that the number of hours spent in center-based daycares do not relate to children’s behavior problems. This is strong evidence from a large, multi-nation, longitudinal study with multiple reporters — in contrast to the studies cited by a certain blog post that has made the rounds on this sub. I wanted to share to encourage parents to make the best care decision for their families and not to fret if that decision is full time daycare.

Full article here

Edit; Multiple people have commented on the age at first entry. This study has three sub-studies that start prenatally, at 5 months, and at 6 months, respectively. Some of those kids attended daycare in infancy based on the data collected. They did not ask about/report on age of daycare in every sub-study either, even though some of those children likely began early (I.e. low income mothers in America). Basically, this is a longitudinal study. While the outcomes of interest are measured in toddlers, the daycare received actually includes kids who were in daycare as infants!! This makes sense because we are interested in kid’s longer term outcomes, not short term/concurrent outcomes. They could not do a subgroup analysis for age at first entry though because they do not have that data from every study, which is a limitation.

Edit 2: For those interested in age at first entry, this study from Norway that was included in the above study. Care traditionally starts around 12mo there, but there is some variation. The study does not show elevated aggression into preschool for any age of entry. They do see some small (in absolute values) changes in aggression at age 2, but those effects do not last. Study Link

Edit 3 to add full text: Full text version

Edit 4: People want to seem to dismiss this study because it doesn’t look at age of entry (it was not designed to do so), but that is not the only salient question about daycare. For instance, this study shows that full time daycare is not related to more externalizing problems than part time daycare. It also shows that income does not moderate the association, contrary to a lot of people’s assumptions. That on its own is important as many parents questions have regarding daycare hours.

@damacri
This is strong evidence from a large, multi-nation, longitudinal study with multiple reporters — in contrast to the studies cited by a certain blog post that has made the rounds on this sub.

This snipe was unnecessary. That post cites several studies that use large populations, longitudinal data, and are from multiple countries. Furthermore the blog post emphasizes repeatedly that the largest negative effects are seen for kids entering daycare as infants, a population apparently not covered by this study.

@elisjohn Yeah, I’m not thrilled with OP with this one. I feel so sad that my infant is in daycare and think about the potential future behavior issues because of it a lot. OP posts this and I’m feeling so much better reading their take on the information, then I get to the comments and deflate seeing how inaccurate OP was. As most Americans do not get the luxury of a true parental leave, leaving out the effects on infants as well as not having long term data makes this study feel pointless to me.

@greyareagcu I also have an infant in daycare and feel sad about it. I’ve read every half-decent study I could find on the subject over the past 6 months, including the one OP is talking about and nearly every source linked in the blog post referenced, hoping to find evidence that the negative effects of daycare aren’t real.

There are legitimate questions regarding the validity and generalizability of current research, summed up by Dearing 2017 (https://srcd.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cdep.12224).

However, I’m sorry to say that I think the link between daycare and externalizing behaviors has been demonstrated too consistently across too many different studies for us to dismiss it. I think it’s more a question of identifying which specific children are at more risk and what can be done to mitigate it, so I hope there is more research done in that direction. Since as you said, many people don’t have the option to avoid daycare.

@elisjohn Thank you! I think I can be extra-sensitive to this topic because 1) I’m an educator and the kids who get on the daycare bus every day are some of the worst-behaving kids in the school I work at, and 2) I have ADHD and am already concerned about the heritability of that and how it will affect my son, so adding potential behavior problems because of having to send him to daycare gives me a lot of anxiety and mom guilt.

@greyareagcu It is a fair criticism to not have long term data. Early externalizing behaviors in toddlers are linked to later conduct problems and psychiatric diagnoses though. There are also a lot of other sources of variance later on (parenting, peers, school quality, resources, neighborhood factors, etc.), so it becomes increasingly hard to isolate daycare-specific effects.

Also, if there is no daycare-specific effect early, it seems odd there would be one later. It doesn’t make sense theoretically that there would be a delay in the effect (i.e. some sort of sleep effect), but it could happen maybe if there was a persistence effect. Future studies are certainly needed.

Edit: the US also needs a longer maternity leave! Parents should be able to stay home with their kids if they want to do so.

@greyareagcu It’s not true! This study has sub-studies that start in early infancy including prenatally, 5 months and 6 months. They followed them up in toddlerhood to assess the toddler’s behavior problems, but many were in care much longer. That’s why it’s a longitudinal study. I should have been more clear, but don’t feel bad that your child is in daycare!

@damacri Op you keep repeating that some studies start prenatally but a child cannot start daycare prenatally so I think you may be misunderstanding the issue.

The blog post sources state that behaviour issues are only seen in infants who attend daycare under 2 yrs old and that there are in fact benefits for children who attend after 2yrs of age. Very few of the countries your study evaluates have large numbers ofinfants attending daycare as they almost all have extensive maternity leave support.

@snowlucario No I’m just saying that some studies tracked age of entry and some didn’t, but that the studies didn’t begin at age 2. Many include infants included in the study were likely starting before age 2 (see the link for the Norwegian study where most entered around 10-12 months).

@damacri But how does that address /@jesusisaliveforever-river's concern in any way?

I also have an infant in daycare and feel sad about it

You replied that the study does include infants and that it's longitudinal, but it's irrelevant. The Norwegian Dearing et al (2015) study that you've now linked in the OP does examine the effect of age of entry.

However, there are more studies, many of them referenced in the paper, with varying conclusions. Almost all studies on this topic observe worsening behavior at a very early age of entry. Some (Norwegian) show the effects disappear with age, while others (Canadian QLSDC data) show long-term issues.

I'd be relieved if I were Norwegian to be fair.

I have no issues with anything you posted in the OP or comments, except the part that the blog article is wrong about infants. It's debatable whether or not it is, but this study doesn't add to that.

@philipb This study shows no effect and it included infants at a variety of ages of entry. Even if it did not examine age of entry in a sub-analysis, it is relevant because it has infants that started early included in the study too. It’s just not specific to them. The paper’s fixed effect modeling calls into question some of the older studies as well. See Dearing 2017 for some of the issues with past research.

I also feel that the blog post is constructed to make a point and advance an agenda by presenting the data as conclusive when it just is not. The author excludes evidence that does not fit her conclusions, like all maternal report studies. It makes people feel bad unnecessarily.

@scooper8 It’s unlikely to be a large statistical masking problem as at least one of the sub-studies did not find age of entry effects for children under 2 (see edit 2); however, this study is not designed to answer the age of entry question. Instead, it shows pretty conclusively that it does not matter how many hours your child is in daycare as a toddler, at least in regards to externalizing problems.

@damacri From one of the co-author’s other study’s on Norway, cited in the original post paper:

Within a sociopolitical context of homogenously high-quality child care, there was little evidence that high quantity of care causes externalizing problems.

That’s great for Norway, and great to be aiming for if you’re not in Norway, but the United States doesn’t have homogeneously high-quality child care. There’s no way you can conclude from this one study or from the Norway study in edit 2 that “it does not matter how many hours your child is in daycare as a toddler,” because it is not generalizable across all countries or daycares.

@damacri I appreciate that! I often feel bad for myself that he’s in daycare. He seems to like it just fine. I’m finding this whole post and comment section to be frustrating with everyone disagreeing on what’s being presented and the conclusions that can be drawn. I love learning about science-y things, but I do not look at scientific studies very often, so I often rely on the discourse of this sub and am feeling a little lost with this one.

@greyareagcu I’m sorry for they confusion. I think the longitudinal aspect has confused many people. Since the first time point they measure externalizing behaviors is in toddlers, lots of posters assumed that’s when the kids were entering daycare.

@damacri I'll check the study again in the evening. But Europe & early infancy daycare does not really compute for me. The earliest I can imagine would be 6 months but more likely around 1 year at least going by maternity and parental leave in the countries alone.

Btw. one needs to consider that one study finding something doesn't make the answers of the other studies irrelevant. The negative results from other studies are still something to consider. With proper parental leave in the US people wouldn't have to deal with this in the first place.

Back