Day 20 of Sleep Sense Program and 10 month old still upset in his crib for 30 mins before sleep

jason10101

My husband is ready to throw in the towel. Yet we’ve seen so much improvement! It’s a semi success??

Our 10 month old has gone from waking up 5-7 times nightly to about 0-2 wakeups depending on the night. It’s usually one! This is immensely better, there’s no doubt about it.

We’ve (I’ve) followed the sleep sense program which is a gradual approach where baby is placed in crib at nap time/bedtime and I sit in a chair and gradually move it out of the room.

The first little while was great, though he did take awhile to fall asleep. I thought it would keep improving though. At the moment my chair is by the door, and I sit there as he falls asleep. It is typical for him to cry for 30 mins before laying himself down and going to sleep. Keep in mind this if after about 2 weeks of the routine of me sitting myself at the door (the program gives three days of this before moving out of the room entirely! And I’ve done it about 14 times, but he still hasn’t come to terms with it very well.) Lately, at bedtime, his cries are so intense that I approach the crib and offer him some comfort by laying him down and patting his back. I shouldn’t be doing that 20 days into the game—iaccording to the program I should be saying good night and leaving the room(this as of like 10 days ago. I just didn’t feel he was ready for that.)

The other issue is his naps. His naps have been crap - like two half hour ones per day! I’ve just begun tracking sleep with Huckleberry so I’m hoping to peg a better nap schedule. I was admittedly relying on sleep cues when I should’ve been relying on wake times, so I’m in the process of changing that which could be a factor here.

Is my baby overtired, not taking to sleep training well, or something else? He’s also extremely attached to me lately which is all the more reason according to my husband to abandon this plan.

H-e-l-p

Back