Close Before You Doze!

@bel13 Not locked like it needs a key, but child proof handle on the inside starting when they can open the door on their own and ending when they can be safe. For my kid that was between 2 and 3, but external doors were childproof until around 5. Some kids may never need this. If I was passed out my two year old wasn't getting out himself anyway. He probably would go look for me or hide. Him being secure in his room with working smoke alarms gave him the best chance. And meanwhile, if he saw a bear outside at that age, he would have definitely tried to get to it. I wouldn't trust him to not try and START a fire then.

@julius05 Yeah, I'm more worried about what happens in the event of the 99.9% chance thereisn't a fire than I am about the small chance there is. If my house isn't childproofed enough and my child not old enough to be left unattended while I go upstairs and take a nap during the day, he's equally not old enough for the risk of him wandering around alone at night while I'm asleep. He could turn the stovetop on, get into the kitchen knives, pull a chair over to the door and take the chain latch off. My oldest was never a risk for this stuff, but my youngest is adventurous and crafty.

@jessie_jones_godlover Locked. Small kids are known to hide from firefighters bc they and a fire are SCARY! It is life-saving information to know your kids are in each of their rooms instead of firefighters wasting time searching a whole house.

@adrienne Check your national guidelines for this, as it's not the recommendation in all countries.

Closing the door seriously diminishes the air quality in the room, so there are other things to consider as well.

@humbled1 Agree with your first point, but as for air quality that’s only going to be a concern in a poorly ventilated home - an air cleaner. could help there