Changing from Depo-Provera

lucybusmc

Hi Everyone, I've been on Depo-Provera since December 2022, and for several reasons, I recently haven't been happy with it.

I mainly got it because my GP told me it would stop my period but it hasn't! This is the only Birth Control I've had so I don't know a lot about the others, Is there others that stop / control periods, e.g. pain and bleeding patterns?

I mainly want one to fully stop my period as in the past it's been excruciating, so if anyone knows please let me know! Thank you :)

@lucybusmc The methods most likely to stop periods are combined methods (pill, patch or ring) used continuosly or higher-dose hormonal IUDs like Mirena.

The arm implant, minipills and lower dose IUDs (Kyleena, Skyla/Jaydess) can stop periods but irregular bleeding is more common compared to other methods.
It's usually light and painless though, so they can be a great option for people who can't take estrogen, don't want an IUD insertion or (for the lower dose IUDs) had hormonal side effects or pain from Mirena.

Keep in mind that irregular bleeding is very common in the first couple of months of trying any hormonal BC, so it can take time to see if your periods will stop.
If you're on a combined method and get irregular bleeding that doesn't improve on its own, you can increase the estrogen dose, schedule a withdrawal bleeding every few months or try the ring.
There are treatments for irregular bleeding on the implant, IUD and minipill as well

Back