Challenging my doctor’s potentially old school advice on solid food for baby

r3b0rn

I’m looking for sources which I can reference in discussion with my family doctor about my 6.5 month old eating solids.

Background: at my sons 6 month check up we discussed starting solids. I’d started slowly at 5.5 months (when he showed signs of readiness) with a mostly BLW based approach, following a lot of information I’d seen on Solid Starts, and occasionally spoon feeding based on his cues. I’d also been taking the approach that breast milk was supposed to be his main source of nutrition til 12 months, and solid food was mostly for learning to eat, as well as iron and allergen introduction, and thus not really worrying about how much solids he ate at this age, as long as it was being offered.

My doctor really surprised me by saying the following:

1) breast milk after 6 months is “just a drink” he solids should be his primary source of calories and nutrients (I thought this was after 12 months?). He should have 3 meals per day already (we do 2, working up to 3).

2) he needs to be night weaned immediately as nursing overnight means he’s taking too much milk and won’t be hungry for solids. (He nurses 1-2 times over night, which I thought was pretty common for his age).

3) offer solids when he’s hungry, before breast milk, so he doesn’t fill up on breast milk (I thought he’s supposed to have milk first as it’s more nutrient dense…also he’s crabby when he’s hungry and doesn’t know solids will make him full, so idk if he’d want to eat)

4) he should have infant cereals twice per day to get enough iron, these should be spoon fed rather than used for grip on slippery foods (e.g. avocado rolled in cereal), to avoid choking hazards. Other sources of iron just aren’t good enough. (I prefer to offer a variety as part of a BLW approach, he’s pretty good at self feeding)

All this advice really caught me off guard, and seems really old school and the opposite of what I’d read and what other moms I know have done. My doctor is GP who cares for the whole family, not a paediatrician.

I’m looking for sources to bring up in my next discussion with my doctor, to potentially challenge her on these points. She is very authoritative, and I don’t expect it to be a productive discussion if I don’t have sources to back up my questions (yes I know this isn’t how doctors should act, but I live in Ontario so having a family doctor is a privilege unfortunately, and paediatricians aren’t common). OR IF I’M WRONG THAT’S OKAY - I just haven’t been able to find official information backing up what she said, but if it’s out there please send it my way to clear up my confusion.

Thanks!

@r3b0rn His entire list of advice is bonkers - 1 & 2 though are 60 years outdated and contrary to WHO & APA recommendations. Like #1 is so egregiously incorrect & harmful I hope you write a review so other parents know he’s not read a single piece of modern research.

You keep doing what you’re doing.

@peter_aka_00avenger00 +1, I was going to write exactly this!

Also, OP, this is a noble cause but it’s unlikely you’ll convince the pediatrician that you’re right - these are the situations where I was like, ok Doc, suuuure. This is such a short phase overall, it may not be worth your energy. Not that I’m advocating for dismissing our doctors, but as an example, my old school pediatrician (who was great on so many things! Now retired sadly) told us to not offer peanuts until our son was 3, which is totally opposite of the newer guidelines for allergens. If the pediatrician is otherwise good, I’d just ignore this and move on. If they’re out of step across the board, maybe you can find a new one.

@r3b0rn Also from Ontario and my doctor shared these links when I was looking into solids. I know your post indicated you wanted research, but one of the links is from the Canadian paediatric society. In short, you aren’t wrong about your feelings. Good luck!

Link

Link

Also from CPS since you mentioned weaning specifically.

Weaning

@teresacr Lol, my mom was astonished that we could "make" our own baby food. She didn't realize it's just mushed normal stuff. Those advertisers did a number on people.

@retirementproject In my husband's baby keepsake box we found notes from his pediatrician: at 6 weeks, 'feed 5 times a day with 2% cow’s milk and boiled water with corn syrup, along with 1-3 tablespoons of barley, rice, or oat cereal with 1-3 oz of formula before 10 am, 2 pm, and 6 pm feedings'. The instructions at his 3- and 5-month checkups were just as precise, and just as awful by today's standards.

@sharbysyd Not that I know of! My mom says I slept through the night at 2 weeks. Maybe bc my stomach was so full. I think it probably wasn’t good for me but I don’t know in what way.

@r3b0rn For
  1. After 6 months is a very vague timeline? Like at 6-10 months, formula/breastmilk is still a bulk of a baby's nutrients. From 11 months on, it becomes kinda gray because some babies will eat like a ravenous bear and don't need that much milk, and some are still playing with their food. The general guideline of breastmilk/formula is primary source of nutrient is the standard advice.

https://raisingchildren.net.au/babies/sleep/settling-routines/night-weaning
  2. I think night weaning is a choice, but night-weaning too early for breastfeeding moms might reduce milk supply. See the link above
  3. This one is a bit tricky. Emma Hubbard actually discuss this in her video. You start to flip the script on them around 9 months. First you offer milk and then solids and after 9 months, then you offer solids first and then milk. If they are too crabby, they won't want to eat because eating is frustrating for them. After they had enough practice, then you want to give them solids first so they feel hungry and want to eat.
  4. I think someone addressed 4 already.

Back