C-section and diastasis recovery post partum

canlastc

I had an unexpected C-section and also have pretty severe diastasis recti despite doing pregnancy safe exercises and avoiding coning during pregnancy (I have a really short abdomen). I’m 4 weeks post partum and really discouraged by the look of my stomach/abdominal pelvic l area. Pre pregnancy i was in pretty great shape and exercises regularly on top of being fairly active during the day. I gained weight within the recommended range for normal bmi and I’ve lost half of that so far. I have started doing the Expected and empowered c section recovery program, but don’t get to do it every day since my baby is a total contact only napper and I’m breastfeeding so I really don’t get out of the bedroom often.

When and how can I expect to have a somewhat normal looking abdomen again? I don’t know how to dress for my current body and I am pretty self conscious about how I look right now.

@canlastc 4 weeks is super early! I assume the program you’re doing right now is something super light like diaphragmatic breathing, since there’s no way you’re cleared for exercise 4 weeks pp after a C-section!

You may want to see a pelvic floor pt, at least briefly, somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks pp. 4 weeks is super early - give your body a chance to heal!

@canlastc Good for you taking it slow! I also forgot to mention that there are random bursts of progress and other random times where the progress stalls pp. I’m at almost 4 month pp and I’ve had good initial progress, then I stalled. Now things seem to be improving again, but I think it has to do with the fact that I’m starting ti get a bit more of a daily routine going, so it’s easier to focus on myself a little more.

Back