Broken Arm on a 4 Year Old; a Retrospective

@kate2018 Our 4 y/o broke his collarbone during my stay at the hospital (hernia repair).

He stayed over at my parent's house the night before (wich he did often, and I had to be at the hospital at 8am), but apparently fell out of bed awkwardly and screamed my parents awake.

They did not tell me before I went under myself, and I saw him come into my hospital room wearing those butterfly bandages, already fixed up and ready to go.

So glad they witheld the info, I would have been an absolute mess otherwise.

That being said, recovering from a double hernia, while your kid can't lift his arm for a few weeks.. not fun.. :-D

@kate2018 I didn’t enjoy this read, but thanks for sharing. Reminded me of my 6mo son getting a blood draw and I swear the tech must’ve been a student because she was fishing in his arm forever. The crying, me shaking, my wife sitting by, my eyes welling up, fake-ass comforting words (from myself mainly), and everything else. The only good part was I no longer have to question whether I care about my son down to my core… however they need a punching bag available in that clinic room.

@kate2018
Fun fact: after anastheia, an unconscious kid will still scream in agony when their busted limb is being reset. That was a real neat experience..

Other fun fact... after anesthesia, a kid will often scream in a semi delirious state that will make you think you gave your kid brain damage.

My son has had to have anesthesia twice before he turned 4. The first was for a tonsillar abscess that had to be drained (think popping a pimple in the back of your throat with a needle).

The second time was to get his tonsils out to prevent the first issue from continually recurring.

Both times afterwards, he woke up screaming. He was barely awake but screaming uncontrollably.

Anesthesia messes with kids. I don't regret it, but damn was I unprepared for that side effect. Good news is it doesn't last long and then he's back to normal, but that's a terrifying couple of minutes.

@kate2018 Sorry man. That's a stressful day. I had 3 broken bones before age 10, but none as bad as that until I was 15 (and again at 20).

Sounds like you did everything right. You can't prevent everything injury. Double check that the breaks were not near a growth plate - proximal (elbow) and distal (wrist) ends of radial (thumbside bone) and distal end of ulna (pinky side bone). Buckle fracture to radial is often near the radial distal growth plate.

This too shall pass. Kids break bones. Hopefully, she sleeps ok and you can have a Scotch or whatever you do to decompress.

Load her up with stickers and send her to school with fun colored Sharpies. If you're feeling really fancy, Casttoo and Shrinkins make fun shrink wraps for casts.

@katrina2017 I'll find out all the details when we see the Ortho on Monday.

She starts K next year, and I'm a SAHD, so it's just me she has to impress for now. (Or is it me trying to impress her? Hard to tell on a day by day basis.)

@kate2018 That was me when I was 12 hyper extended my arm on a trampoline, tore my growth plate completely in half and fully separated my elbow. My dad was for sure super dad that day, sounds like you were to man. Good shit, you’ll be fine, save the cast once she gets it off

@kate2018 Ortho resident here. Every time I reduce a child’s broken bone with parents nearby it’s just another patient with the parents. Appreciate posts like this because it makes work feel less like work. Keep staying strong bud.

@kate2018 Now you need to go home, pour a stiff drink (for me this'd be a tall glass of mineral water bc my body literally cannot process alcohol anymore without serious dehydration) and put on a super sad Pixar movie so you can relax and get those emotions out.

Extra bonus points if your little 4 year old hands you tissues and rubs your back and says "it'll be ok daddy. it's just a movie"

@kate2018 Here is my experience with a bad bone break at (barely) 5 years old. I am 36F so this was in 1990.

TLDR: Crutches races were super fun and recovery was a breeze. The accident/ hospital memory is still vivid, so good job keeping your cool.

Long version:
You did great and you WERE Superdad. I commend you because keeping your cool is tough in that situation.

I fell in a very deep pit while on a family vacation to Mexico. I broke both bones in my lower leg quite badly. It took a while to get me out, longer to get to a hospital with a working x-ray machine. In the back of an old VW van with shit suspension on shittier roads. It hurt like hell on the ride. I don't remember much from that age but I remember the pit, the car ride, and getting my bone set like it was today. Oh and the tetanus shot (don't ask what was in the pit).

It helped a lot in not being super traumatic that my parents were level headed. My mom was emotional but comforting and reassuring. My dad was very matter of fact. "Yes that is broken. Let's clean you up and get to the hospital" This is how I handle emergencies to this day so having a good example can be a lifelong benefit to your kid.

I was fearful for a long time of going back to Mexico. These were semiannual trips that I dreaded for a couple years, but I got over it once we were there. Your kid might, but might not link the park with the trauma. My advice is actually not to avoid it for very long so it doesn't build up in their head.

Your kid shouldn't be in much pain if everything is set right and stabilized right. I honestly didn't notice and definitely don't remember any pain after my cast was on. So don't worry about that from here on out.

I remember getting really good on crutches and racing my dad's disabled friend anytime we got together. Make adjustment to their limited range of movement as fun as you can.

The cast gets gross. That's all I can say about that. No keeping it clean at that age. Just accept it and don't badger your kid about keeping it clean.

Stay super dad. Keep it matter of fact and reassure your kid that these things happen sometimes but NOT ALL THE TIME.

Make sure you still go out and do fun things during the recovery and don't limit your kid if you can help it (except probably no pool haha). They will figure out and adjust to their limitations on their own.

And work on telling the story in a super embellished way that only dad's can. God knows my dad's version got to 30minutes long by my teens.

@kate2018 Father of a kid who’s broken 3 bones checking in. Sorry to hear it, good news is 4 is super young and she’ll have no long-term repercussions. When my son broke his (second) bone he was around that age. Doctor said that if another doc looked at an X-ray of both legs 10 years from then, nobody would be able to tell which one was broken. She’ll have a story to tell!

@kate2018 So my kid broke his arm last year at 5.

I totally recommend the water proof cast they offer.

Ours could swim (he broke it at the start of the summer) and then bathe with it and no issues with it.

@boodus She hung from the monkey bars.

She fell and tried to brace her fall.

Her left arm bent in a location it's not supposed to bend.

We sought medical intervention.

Trained medical staff intervened.

We went home.

Later that night I posted to Reddit.

You commented.

I responded.

@kate2018 It's Reddit, nobody really understands what the downvotes are about a lot of the time. haha

Hope your little girl is feeling better soon - my daughter is just over 2 years old and she's leaping to things and hanging over edges, etc. Half the time she takes some crazy leap of faith I have to close my eyes and hope for the best LOL, I'm sure our time is coming for a hospital visit, hopefully not though!

@kate2018 Hang in there, went through a leg break with mine. I recommend getting medical tape and doing the edges of the cast to make it a little softer and less irritating where the skin touches. Kids heal super fast and will be over it long before you are. Have fun spoiling them rotten in the meantime

Back