Birth preferences (C-section or vaginal)

chris516

I've thought about this a lot and after doing a lot of research, I am sure that a C-section would be my preferred choice. This is primarily due to concerns about the excruciating pain and trauma which are normally associated with vaginal delivery. I also recently found out that any pregnant woman in the country I'm in is allowed to request a C-section even when it's not medically necessary. It's something I feel pretty strongly about.

@chris516 I’m a postpartum nurse and the recovery for a c-section is MUCH more painful and drawn out. Obviously healthy mom and baby is the #1 priority but recovery is something that isn’t as strongly considered

@cambogiaz This. My first C-section recovery was hell, despite having no complications. (My second C-section recovery wasn't bad, and for the life of me I can't figure out what was different.)

@chris516 Elective c-sections are less common than they used to be but they’re still pretty accessible. From a financial standpoint, they can cost about double what an uncomplicated vaginal birth does (or more if you have surgery or recovery complications). You can build a savings plan to keep that option open

@kyfisher1 Good point. Is there any quirk to this in your country? My experience is only with ridiculous US system where patient cost generally increases at the same rate as procedure/expense (twice the number of nights in the hospital to recover from labor? Pay twice the price!)

@cees Yeah I have a feeling here in the US they’d say “oh your C-section was not medically necessary so we’re not going to cover it”. Damm insurance is such a joke here

@chris516 I had a vaginal birth and the next one will probably be vaginal too.

I was lucky as I had the "perfect" epidural so I felt nothing until it was time push. Yes it hurt but that's what I was expecting so it wasnt a shock.

To be honest I think both methods (vaginal or c section) of delivering a baby are going to have some elements of pain/discomfort. So pick your poison I suppose!

@almighty100 Pick your poison is exactly it! I didn’t anticipate the absolute excruciating agony for so long after a vaginal birth and being unable to move from sitting to standing or vice versa without assistance, I couldn’t stand up holding my baby, and I have lifelong injuries. I know plenty of vaginal births are easier and faster to recover from but that’s just it isn’t it, you don’t know which you’ll have until afterwards. I have friends who recovered quickly from c sections and said it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as they expected. I massively regret having a vaginal birth but obviously only because of hindsight and knowing now what I didn’t back then (how it went for us, and also the fact that before birth all I heard was how fast you bounce back and recover compared to the dreaded ‘major surgery’ c section).

@almighty100 When you said you felt pain when it was time to push- can you go into a bit more detail? I’m so terrified by the physical trauma of giving birth and I’m trying not to let it put me off trying to get pregnant.

@heavencitizen Sure! Small caveat- my baby was "sunny side up" which means she was facing the wrong way. The best birth position for baby is to be facing the floor and mine came out facing the ceiling.

This meant I experienced "back labour" where the sensations are felt mostly around your back instead of "regular labour".

The best way I can describe it is like a wave on the sea. It was a pressure steadily building up until you feel an urge to push. Then you push and it felt like an iron band squeezing across my back, you can feel the muscles in your pelvis/uterus contracting to get that baby out! Then the wave breaks and you can relax while it builds back up again.

I did that for about 3 hours getting the baby into position for their big exit! That was uncomfortable and while it did hurt it was not overwhelmingly painful... the most painful bit for me was when the head was ready to crown. It's unknown as the "ring of fire" and I would say that's accurate! It was a very intense burning sensation. The temptation to stop pushing was high but by then my body was in control it kept going. Luckily it was pretty quick to push the head out and after that the rest of the baby comes out pretty quickly!

I was also lucky as my post partum recovery was quick and pretty easy. I was walking around an hour after giving birth and because of the epidural in my system I didnt feel any pain having my first post partum pee!

@chris516 America has a horrendous maternal mortality rate and there is a correlation with c-sections, so I am willing to do just about anything to avoid that. I hope to have an unmedicated vaginal birth with as little intervention as possible. Obviously I will do whatever the doctor recommends at the time for safety and I’m open to pain management if needed, but unmedicated is my first choice.

@chris516 I definitely want to avoid a cesarian. My mom had a c-section for the 3rd child and it was terrible recovery for her, couldn't lift her children or bend over for months. She basically stopped exercising so she never lost the baby weight still has a round belly, 20 years later and she still has pain around the incision. But it was necessary to save the baby, it would have to be the only option for me to consider a c-section.
I'd want to have a vaginal birth, ideally in squatting position.

@viveroba Same with my mother. I can't understand women electing to go through that when they don't have to. It's not like removing a wart, its abdominal surgery. Everyone knows how important the abdomen is and how painful it is when somethings wrong. I'm not getting it. I know everyone has their own birth plan and everything, but you're putting yourself and the baby at risk unnecessarily.

@chris516 I think that's my preference too. Lots of women in my life have had a tough time with vaginal birth and some have had permanent damage. That said, pain and things going wrong is also a possibility with a c section. I haven't decided yet though (and obviously, I may not have a choice in the end anyway!)

All I will say is it's your body. You might feel better equipped to deal with a longer recovery from a C section to avoid the uncertainty and fear you associate with a vaginal birth. Other people will be terrified of surgery and prefer vaginal. Both views are completely valid.

I hate seeing the mommy wars and judgement that surfaces about these things. It's between you and your doctor, and you should go with your gut.

@mrstraightforward The permanent damage thing was a real shock. I didn’t realise I could be permanently injured for life but here we are lol. I agree 100% it’s down to the individual. I know women who wanted a c section because they didn’t like the idea of a vaginal birth and you know what? Awesome, more power to them. We are very lucky if we have options, we can use them :)

@vera7 Feel free not to answer if this is too personal of a question, but what kind of permanent damage have you encountered? (Also I’m sorry to hear this btw and hope it’s been easier to manage with time)

Back