Bedwetting in a 13 yo (X-post from r/Parenting)

@thornbearer Bedwetting is a huge flag of sleep disordered breathing which drs don’t screen for unless you insist on a sleep study. It’s a breathing and airway issue. They do not have to snore to have airway issues.

If a person is not breathing optimally while asleep they experience oxygen depletion which stimulates blood flow to the kidneys causing bed wetting.

The “grow out of it” comments by drs are dismissive and disheartening. Drs seem to treat symptoms and don’t care to find the the reason. I had taken my son to a urologist and they only cared about if we could afford diapers. The actual wetting seemed to be a non issue to them. They rarely grow out of it. One dr said “no adults wet the bed” and any google search will prove that wrong. If you treat the sleep disordered breathing with CPAP then the wetting goes away. It’s getting to the root cause and unfortunately unless you have an idea of the cause the drs just say you’ll grow out of it and wear diapers until they do. It’s so sad and infuriating. My heart goes out to every child and parent that has to endure bedwetting into teens and young adulthood.