Baby on a budget?

@kittykato8812 Check out Fluff Love University and r/clothdiaps. The short answer: a quick regular wash with half detergent, then a heavy duty load with full detergent. We wash in hot water, high spin, and heavy soil settings. The resources above give you a good idea of what the wash routine for your washer and diapers should be. Experiment. It might take some adjusting.

ETA: hang dry covers and AIOs. Inserts can be thrown in the dryer, or you can hang dry then if you'd like. My favorite thing now that it's nice out is seeing all of our diapers on the clothesline!

@thesandlapper I just finished getting my entire stash organized and have managed to acquire all my diapers (mix if flats, prefolds fitteds- pockets and AIOs for about $300). This should last us until baby is about 1 year old. I began talking to anyone abs everyone about our plans to CD and got connected with a lot of ppl who were cleaning out their stashes. None of the diapers are new but they are all great shape with the exception of repairs to a few elastics. Not saying this is e everyone's experience but it's worth a try!

@gaiealiyly Congratulations! Just wanted to say that buying a car seat second hand is not recommended. They can "expire" and if they've previously been in an accident (even if they weren't obviously damaged), it's recommended to replace them. If the car seat isn't new, you have no way of knowing if it's already been in an accident and isn't safe any more.

@gaiealiyly We have a 2 week old so I was recently in your shoes! And we DEFINITELY did baby on a budget. First I’ll just mention that I’ve been loving the Evenflo brand - they seem to be like an Amazon básica kinda company for some baby gear.

Anyways, first I would suggest that you read and look at a lot of minimalist baby lists. I looked at tons on printrest a lot. I also asked every friend I had who had a baby within the last 5 years what they actually ended up using. Spoiler alert, you do NOT need that much. You do not need things like a snoo, or really much in the way of fancy items at all.

Also Facebook marketplace is amazing. Most people use baby things for like 2-3 months then never use it again. I wouldn’t recommend getting a car seat or crib (unless it’s from someone you know) used because those can be dangerous, but everything else go for it.

If you can, have a friend throw you a shower. Don’t tell people the gender ahead of time, if you want make it part of the shower. People have a hard time buying allllll the cute baby clothes and none of the important crap you need when they know the gender, and usually it’s all like 3 or 6 month clothes which they won’t be wearing very long.

Make a registry even if you don’t have a shower since almost all registries give you a discount after a certain amount of time. I personally think the Amazon registry is one of the better ones, but it doesn’t really matter.

Read books!! I think so much more than “stuff” that helps is knowledge! Take as many classes as you can at your hospital, and read as many books as you can. I definitely went overboard with reading 14 books, but I also felt extremely prepared and knowledgeable about what gear would most likely work for us. Id be more than happy to recommend my favorites.

Also think about your living situation. Like we live in a two story house so we have everything our newborn needs on a diaper caddy that I take around with us, it would be very inconvenient to always have to go upstairs to her nursery to change her, and there are a million little other decisions that we made based off things like that.

You really need very little in general for the first year of life. That 10k statistic you hear is mostly people buying way too much crap they don’t use. Here is a pretty condensed list that I used:

Somewhere for baby to sleep (crib, bassinet). A friend gave us a crib, but for right now we’re using a $70 Evenflow bassinet in our bedroom which honestly they can use for a while, so you can totally get something like that first then get a crib later. Don’t forget a crib mattress and sheets if you go the crib route.

Something to change baby on. Does NOT need to be a special changing table, we just use a portable changing pad and change her wherever we are. In her nursery we have a regular dresser with a changing pad. You don’t need changing pad covers and honestly I don’t get changing pad covers at all.

Car seat and/or stroller. Again I’d recommend Evenflow - we got the Pivot expand for $200 which included the stroller, toddler seat and carseat. It’s meant to convert to a 2 seater but Evenflow has a single seater as well. It’s super nice to have a stroller/car seat that’s compatible with each other.

Pump if you plan on breastfeeding. Check with your insurance to see if they cover one. If you plan on no formula, make sure it’s a double electric one - it will definitely be worth it and save you money in formula down the line.

Bottles. You do NOT need 10 bottles, or those bottle test kits or whatever. Get 2-4 bottles in one brand, and just make sure they get a bottle a day starting young. Even if you formula feed you really don’t need a ton, or even if you find out you do you can always get more. Personally I’ve been only using 2 bottles, Tommy tippee brand, mostly because that is what was recommended to me. Basically I just wouldn’t get too worked up about this and buy a ton of stuff until you know what works for you.

Burp cloths.

Diaper bag. There are tons on Amazon for cheap or Facebook marketplace. They’re all super similar, so just find what you like.

Diapers, wipes, butt cream, baby wash. Don’t stockpile too many of newborn size diapers because you may have a large baby that grows out of them quickly.

Baby clothes! Again Facebook marketplace, but heck, people will also come out of the woodwork and give you clothes. The only thing I can say I really like is the wrap onesies or kimono onesies since you don’t have to put them over baby’s head.

Swaddles and/or sleep sacks. Again you can find these in spades used. I prefer swaddles but that’s really a you thing and you’re not suppose to swaddle past 3 months.

Baby swing. I haven’t used ours yet (a hand me down), but literally everyone I talked to and every list mentioned a swing.

Thermometer.

Don’t worry about getting toys or books or anything like that. People have a tendency to want to give those things regardless, but if not that’s another good marketplace thing.

A baby bath (like the angle care ones) can be useful, but tbh one of the nurses just suggested that one of us get in the tub with her and support her that way.

I will suggest one thing, some kind of baby carrier. Personally I got an Ergo because I’ve used it a ton with friends kids, but it doesn’t really matter. Just whatever you get make sure you can use it for a while, many 2yos still like to be held in them.

Basically everything else can be bought along the way, that’s really all you’ll need for the first 6 months or so. But I’d definitely look at tons of minimalist lists and come to your own conclusions.

@cadie This advice is seriously gold!!! Agree with it all. Join moms groups and check out marketplace and even next door. Ask people for hand me downs and check out resale shops. Don’t get hung up on fancy/name brand stuff, the baby stage goes by so fast. Don’t buy a whole crib bedding set, it’s such a waste. Crib sheets and a crib skirt if you need it. I thought I needed this expensive, neutral color play mat with wooden toys that would look pretty in my baby’s room. It was stupid expensive, and she hated it. The totally cheap hideous playmat my friend gave us as a hand me down? She LOVES. Congratulations!!!

@gaiealiyly This is what I sent to a coworker of mine!

Pregnancy books

Expecting Better
This is my favorite pregnancy book. It’s science-driven and the author doesn’t try to give you “rules,” rather she arms you with the studies so you can make your own decisions.

Birth Partner 5th Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Partners, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions
This is a great book for understanding everything labor and delivery. My husband and I both read this book, and it has helped me feel confident rather than fearful about labor and delivery. It does tend to lean toward doing a natural birth, breastfeeding, and having a doula, but over all is a great way to understand everything.

Baby books

Cribsheet
This the follow-up book to “Expecting Better” for newborn to preschool age. Again, just really helpful in navigating all the “rules” that everyone will tell you by giving you the data so you can come to your own conclusions.

The Informed Parent: A Science-Based Resource for Your Child's First Four Years
This is my other favorite baby book. There is a lot of repeat from Expecting Better (this is a different author), but has more information that Cribsheet. It’s very similar in that it just presents the data without giving strict rules so that you can make informed decisions.

Brain Rules for Baby (Updated and Expanded): How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
This is another favorite book of mine. It helps answer all the questions on what actually (statistically speaking) can help your child be smarter. Spoiler alert: there’s not a lot lol.

The Wonder Weeks: A Stress-Free Guide to Your Baby's Behavior (6th Edition)
I haven’t actually read this book all the way through, because it’s not really like a book you read right now. It’s a book that you follow week by week as your child develops, and kinda tells you from a psychological perspective what’s going on and how to address fussiness. It also has an app which is helpful as well. So really it’s just something you read as your kid gets older.

My Child Won't Sleep: A Quick Guide for the Sleep-Deprived Parent
I love this book because it’s super tiny and it’s just the top most common sleep train methods in very straight-forward language. So if you think you’ll want to do some kind of sleep training, I’d recommend getting this book.

The Happiest Baby on the Block; Fully Revised and Updated Second Edition: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
I liked this book ok. It’s more of a “do this” rather than “here’s the science” book, but it does cover the “5 S’s” for soothing a baby, so you may find it helpful.

On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep
I know a loootttt of people who loved this book and recommended it, but to me it felt really strange. It was definitely more of a “do this” kind of book, and they greatly vilified other sleep train methods. It’s a fine enough book, just I didn’t particularly like it especially after reading more of the science-based books. But it is good for more of the practical day-to-day of what a schedule should look like with your baby.

The Science of Mom: A Research-Based Guide to Your Baby's First Year
This is a fine enough book, it just repeats a lot of the same information as the evidence-based books I mentioned.

Nursing

The Nursing Mother's Companion, 7th Edition, with New Illustrations
This is a great book if you’re planning on breastfeeding. It’s a pretty lengthy book, so it’s almost more of a reference book, but extremely helpful for knowing what to expect from the first few hours to the first few years.

Returning to work
I don’t know if you are currently working or are planning on returning to work, but I felt like these books were particularly useful for me.

Here's the Plan.: Your Practical, Tactical Guide to Advancing Your Career During Pregnancy and Parenthood
I’d recommend that if you have a partner who works, that both of you read this regardless if you are both working after the baby is born or just one of you. It’s a great book just for navigating how to leave and return to work from leave.

Work. Pump. Repeat.: The New Mom’s Survival Guide to Breastfeeding and Going Back to Work
This is not a book about breastfeeding as much as it is about pumping and how to navigate that process at work. I thought it was super helpful even though I’ll probably be working from home a lot.

@cadie Baby monitor is not a need, but man it will reduce anxiety and make things easier.

We got a fancy angel care one with the breathing pad. Waste of money. We tried to use the breathing pad once and hated it. The baby monitor broke just after the 1 year warrenty expired. We now use a security camera with an app, notifications etc. Works beautifully. It's called wyze, you can get it on Amazon for $40 CAD, so I would guess $30 USD. Super cheap, super easy to set up (make sure your. WiFi has a strong password as does your account), super worth it. Plus once you no longer need it as a monitor you can use it as a security camera if you want!

@draeconian We actually have those same cameras that we use generally around the house, and they are great! For our baby monitor though, we went with owlet since we were getting the heart rate/oxygen monitor, and we got it in a combo pack with the video monitor on a great Black Friday sale. For me it’s kinda a necessary because I would be riddled with anxiety if I didn’t, but obviously there are tons of cheaper options!!

@cadie I got a brand new Ergo baby 360 with the newborn insert on facebook marketplace for $50 and have used it everyday since baby was like 1 month old (3 month old now). It was a lifesaver for a very clingy post nicu baby (big baby- no worries they fit size requirements). Also got a baby vibrating seat on marketplace used for $5 and use it everyday. I truely love used things--- we did go new for crib and carseat and pack and play (not fancy one- just make sure has bassinet thing that makes it shallow at first) for a place to put baby when small away from being stepped on by big dogs.

@gaiealiyly Seriously try to make breastfeeding work as that will save you a ton of money! It can be difficult but, if you’re committed and have the right support, it should work! I’m not saying it’s 100% guaranteed and, of course fed is best but, again, if you can do it, you’ll save bank!

Look up specifically what you really want vs what you really need for baby. Wants and needs are usually different but, the things that do overlap are probably the items you should to get new or very gently used. Other needs you can most likely find for free or super cheap, used. The wants that don’t overlap with needs, well, I’d say forget about them. Baby doesn’t need them, anyway!

Definitely check your local Facebook moms groups! I was gifted a ton of gently used baby clothes and necessary items, a really good car seat (UppaBaby!), a breastfeeding pillow, baby toys and even a jogger stroller just for putting it out there that I haven’t been able to shop due to the pandemic and husband and I are looking for gently used items.

Try to get multifunctional pieces. ie a low dresser can be used as the changing table; you don’t need both! A baby swing it probably more useful than a bouncer if you can only afford one. Make sure it’s easy to move room to room though; you will want to be able to have a safe place for baby in the major rooms in your home. ie crib/bassinet in the bedroom, pack-n-play in the living room, swing/bouncer for anywhere else you may need to put baby down.

Also consider if you will have baby in your room for the first 6mo - 1yr. If so, you may need even less furniture to start! Try to get a minicrib if your room is a tight squeeze then when you transition baby to their own room, you can move the crib too and make more room for your own things, again.

I suggest also joining a Facebook Pay It Forward group, if you intend to get rid of the baby things as soon as you don’t need them anymore; basically, PIF can help you get a lot of good things for baby and then you can share when you’re ready, too!

Good luck hon! I know it’s tough right now but, you got this!!!

@gaiealiyly Thanks so much for asking this. FTM so
I need all the help I can get. Unfortunately there is not a good selection of used items for sale in my area so I will have to purchase everything new!

@snjeri I don’t see much posted on marketplace in my area and I haven’t had any luck finding a buy nothing group on FB for my specific area. Any recommendations?

@thrugodseyes Well, if it's something good, maybe even with posting fee it's worth it. I just bought a wool cover with snaps and even though the price for postage was almost as much as the diapers, it was still half the price as the new one

Back