Are sleepovers at Grandparents normal for children 1 - 2 years old

@jackstack Our son has his first sleepover at Grandmas at 10 months, and has a sleepover now probably once per month. He loves it and we haven’t had any issues other than grandma not being able to get him down for his nap the next day lol.

@jackstack I’m very lucky that my MIL lives close, looks after our 4 year old once a week and tries to have 1 sleepover a month so my wife & I can have a date night.

My daughter has been having sleepovers since around 18 months.

@jackstack My oldest son (now 4.5) slept over for the first time when he was 6 months old. But they (my other son is 3) don't have regular sleepovers. I wouldn't think it was weird, though.

My kids sleep over very rarely because my parents are older and can't handle them too often. But they give us a break a couple of times a year. If they could handle more, I'd be thrilled.

@jackstack Both my mother and MIL live many hours drive away and one of our neighbours has become their godmother and stand in grandmother. She looked after our eldest a couple days a week from a fairly early age and has them both together and separately for sleep overs from around the age of 15 months every couple of weeks or so. She offered to both give us time to have a little break and to spend extra time with the kids.

As far as I'm concerned as long as she can cater to their needs, the kids want to go over and it fits into our life schedule, she's welcome to host them. Now that our eldest is 11 and the youngest is 8 it is less frequent, but still happens. We are both totally ok with this continuing.

The ball is in your court as the parents.

Back