Are sleepovers at Grandparents normal for children 1 - 2 years old

@jackstack Is it normal? You can’t base a personal choice on such a broad assumption. If you have trustworthy grandparents, go for it. If you don’t, no.

My kid has both sets of gparents nearby and he’s been napping over there since 15mo and has had over a dozen overnights and then even a 10 day stay when my husband and I went on a trip.

Would I do that if I felt uncomfortable? Heck no.

Is your wife uncomfortable with the idea but using “it’s not normal” as the excuse? Try to dig deeper. Respect her wishes. But having involved and trustworthy grandparents is a HUGE perk and is how most of society worked throughout history.

@jackstack Does grandma feel overwhelmed, does she enjoy it, is she trustworthy and responsible? If these are all green, I say take advantage.

We have a tradition that the kids spend a week at grandma's every year. Also, when they were small, they went over to grandma's all the time.

@jackstack if the grandparents are to be trusted it is very normal and wonderful for everyone involved. children profit a lot from a strong bond with their grandparents. and honestly, it soothes my mind knowing that my kid is already used to staying at /with their grandparents, in case i need to be hospitalized or whatever etc. my kids will be fine.

@jackstack My kid started having sleepovers with my parents and my partner’s mum at probably 18-24 months, can’t remember exactly. Basically as soon as she started sleeping through the night. She has a sleepover once a week. It’s fantastic - she has a great time, has a great relationship with her grandparents, and we get some great time off.

@jackstack My son started doing occasional sleepovers at 6 months with both sets of grandparents. I would say he spends the night with a set of grandparents every 30 to 45 days or so at this point.

It'll probably be a little more often as he gets older and requests sleepovers.

I honestly just wouldn't want to overwhelm Grandma in your case, since she provides care during the day too. In our case, the grandparents who don't watch him as often during the week due to work schedules are the ones who do overnights more often. And they're offering/wanting to do them, not us asking.

@jackstack That's been the norm in my household since my oldest was about 2...every 2 weeks or so. Sometimes they'll stay the entire weekend. I love it. You need some time to yourselves.....but only if you both agree.

@jackstack For most of human history this has been the norm. We have to remember that kids being raised only by their parents is a very recent occurrence and isn't the norm in other cultures.

We have our boy stay with his grandparents one night a week since he was 6 month old and it's great for everyone but especially my son.

Back