Are sleepovers at Grandparents normal for children 1 - 2 years old

@dudenamedric Nah. We did it that much.

Sometimes we'd go for dinner, she'd fall asleep and we just leave her there and pick her up in the morning.

My parents are very capable and only love 10 mins away.

@jackstack We haven’t had this chance yet as parents but when I was a baby (waaaay back in the 80’s) I spent at least one week a night at my Mom’s Mom’s from around 6 months until I was… 10ish? I loved it and so did my Grandma - lots of fond memories and quality time for my parents.

@jackstack As somebody who was sexually assaulted/abused at a spend the night, we have a hard rule of no spend the nights, we will do a late night, but we pick them up at 11/midnight latest. This rule applies to all.

@jackstack Can’t say. I don’t trust my mom with the life of my kids, nor would I trust her to tell the truth if anything were to happen.

My MIL lives with us (well, now only during the summer months). If the kids are asleep, then we can go for a date or leave for a few hours but more than that is beyond her physical capacities at this point.

@jackstack That seems unusual to me as well. If you're really desperate to do something like this, I'd invert that so the baby sleeps in their own room, and your MIL could sleep at your place.

Having a 13m sleep on a cot doesn't sound right. I'd expect them to be in their crib and room. Don't think they'd understand what is happening if they wake up in a strange place and parents aren't around to boot. Might be able to get away with one of those, but not both.

You can have date nights without having the baby sleep overnight somewhere else as well. Or do day dates. Sexy times don't have to wait for night.

@jacksonjogu Yup same in Ireland. A cot is usually the name for a full sized "crib". You might use crib for something akin to a moses basket or something along those lines but we'd never call the full sized cot a crib

@jackstack My daughter (24m) had stayed quite a bit, but not with any regularity. My son (9.5m) has only stayed over once but it was for a few nights. Honestly
My wife and I were recently talking about how we don’t take advantage of her parents enough and I think we’re going to try to make it a regular thing.

@jackstack Totally normal. We usually have the grandparents watch them at our house, but we’ve totally done the other way around and actually have both our 15mo and 3yo staying with them next weekend! It’s important to still make your relationship important, and not just for the short period between their bedtimes and yours. It’s also good for them to get different experiences and teach them to be flexible and appreciate them.

Back