Anyone use cloth baby wipes?

dobsonsdogs

Baby is 3 months old and I find myself picky about wipes and the ones I’d prefer are always a bit more expensive. Was considering cloth wipes esp while he’s stil EBF.

How is it cleaning them? Do you prefer them? Better for butt rashes?

@dobsonsdogs We cloth diaper and use cloth wipes so they just go in the bag/laundry with the diapers.

I make my own diapering liniment which works great for cleaning up baby (works better than regular wipes imo).

We did switch to regular wipes for big poops when kiddo started solids and she started having solid poops. But at 16mos we still use cloth and liniment for all her pees.

@hb211 How do you store the wipes for use? I’ve tried storing them dry and wetting with a spray / peri bottle but it was too much to juggle in the middle of nappy changes. I tried storing them wet, but I couldn’t find a good container that wouldn’t drip and spill every time I grabbed one out. I gave up and went back to normal wipes but even those are inconvenient because I have to walk to the kitchen to throw away the wipe because there’s no trash in my kids room lol.

@hopefulandfree I have one of those plastic Skip Hop travel wipes containers. I accordion fold as many wipes as will fit in it, wet them, and then squeeze out the water, and then keep them in that wipes container. It fits just enough that they don’t get smelly from being wet too long, but typically enough for a day or so (much longer when baby is older). I’ve been doing this for almost 5 years now and it’s always worked perfectly!

@hopefulandfree We store dry and folded in half and spray with the Peri bottle before getting kiddo on the changing table/undressed. It gives it time to fully saturate the wipe too so we usually use one wet one and then one dry one to get him extra clean. We hardly never have to use more than two with this system.

@hopefulandfree Store dry! I keep liniment in a glass bottle with a push down dispenser/spigot and before diaper changes i get my clean diaper set up, sploot some liniment on the wipe, and have the bottle ready to sploot some on babys butt if there is a sticky poo that needs dissolving

Im also too lazy to do anything but throw wipes in the open wipe box after they come out of the laundry and storing wipes wet squicks me out bc im triggered by mold/mildew so... thats where my priorities lie lol

@hb211 I really like this method! I’ll give it a shot. What do you use for wipes, I was using cut up pieces of flannel and old t-shirts but they all felt too flimsy

@hopefulandfree I got 2 yards of inexpensive cotton flannel, cut into squares (maybe 8inx8in? I dont remember at this point) and zigzag stitched the edges on my sewing machine.

@duglasholiday I used this recipe:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/soft...-your-own-liniment_b_573dcaf1e4b02d8929cff0c9

I used candilia wax in place of beeswax for personal reasons, subbed liquid coconut oil for olive oil (did not want baby to smell like a pizza) and subbed apx 5% of the oil with jojoba oil for hydration & skin nourishment. I am about to whip up a batch of this for baby #2, coming this month!

For lime if you are in the US, pickiling lime is cheap and works great. I found it at menards. Or you can buy a small.envelope from modernist cuisine on amazon

@dobsonsdogs We're done cloth diapering, but still love our cloth wipes. I have some in each of the kids bedrooms and have trained them to use the wipes instead of kleenex and throw them in their regular laundry basket. My son, age 6, now gives my husband a look and says "Dad, using a tissue kills a tree" whenever he uses a single use product.