Anyone else have a baby with chronic bronchitis after R.S.V?

alecschanno

I looked it up in the sub and noones posted about it before but I figured with how terrible this season has been for R.S.V I can't be the only one. It's awful. She's had it for almost 2 month now and it's not getting any better. I give her two diffrent types of inhalers ever day. I have to take her in the shower with me to clear out her airways and spend up to an hour every day with her on her stomach patting her to try to dislodge the mucus. The doctor said she would be better soon but she's showing no signs of improvement. She is seeing a doctor again next week so idk what they will say. I wish more then anything she didn't get R.S.V. I can't be the only one dealing with this ? Also if your baby hasn't gotten R.S.V yet be careful out there it's truly terrible.

@alecschanno My son got RSV when he was 4.5 months. He had bronchiolitis (not the same as bronchitis but spelled similarly) with the primary infection and his breathing sounded awful. Nebulizer several times a day. He got better within a couple weeks but after that every cold/viral illness he got resulted in the same bronchiolitis symptoms. He was constantly sick for at least two months post RSV. He is in daycare so illness is not surprising but it was very bad for a few months. It did get better though. He still gets sick once about every other month (he’s now 10 months) but he does not have the bronchiolitis anymore and we haven’t used the nebulizer since then.

FWIW my sons pediatrician did warn us that subsequent illnesses could mimic RSV even for what otherwise would have been a mild cold. But it was still very hard at the time. I def was worried his lungs were permanently damaged. He is all better now. Best wishes to you and your LO!

@alecschanno It could be secondary infections too. Mine had RSV followed by back-to-back bacterial infections. They get sick with a bunch of stuff you may not notice. Maybe your Dr can check what's actually causing the congestion. It might not be RSV anymore.

Back