A note from an educator

@kayleey_your_moon That is SO helpful!! Thankfully I already have a few newborn carriers that I like, so you're right it makes sense to just get a standard tula. The great thing is they're also cheaper. I never would have thought of this without your help so thank you so much!!!

@kayleey_your_moon Yes absolutely right - I'm looking at used and even in that market, there is a pretty stark price difference between the standard, free to grow, and explore versions of the tula. I'm in no huge rush so I'll probably wait for a decently priced one! Thank you again!!

@kayleey_your_moon On the ask docs sub you can’t respond to a post unless you are an approved professional (doc, surgeon, emt, nurse, etc). The mods ask for credentials then they get identified with flair. You should do something like that with this sub. Not the part about restricting those who aren’t credentialed but you should have some kind of flair from the mods. Your comments will likely carry more weight than others and over time I think the issues you are seeing would get corrected. People don’t know if you’re justa random person chiming in or if you actually know your stuff, even if you put in your post that you are qualified. People will always be critical until shown proof.

Also, why not be a mod? I feel like that’s prob just as good as what I’m suggesting above

@kayleey_your_moon
Hell when I bought my first Tula I literally had join a Facebook group where people posted which small business websites were stocking which patterns and they could sell out in hours or even minutes.

This takes me back to sitting on the kinderpack site and refreshing over and over to maybe be able to buy a kinderpack!

@kayleey_your_moon Following!

Might you as an educator speak to if “it’s ever too late to baby wear”?

I haven’t posted for a fit check. That said at 14 weeks baby seems to hate if I baby wear. We did it too infrequently. She’s about 2 percent and 11 lbs.

She dislikes the soft wraps like ktan the most. She’s older and time to not be in a newborn but more a hug pose. I always practice (maybe it’s been 8-10 times since birth) in sight of others. But last party w baby crying my husband told me I really need to practice if I want to do this again. Sigh.

We have a tula, she doesn’t like it yet. And hubby had an ergo for first but hasn’t work this baby. She needs more mommy time (on donated breastmilk) but I often have elder child.

@elvisrene10 Big hugs to you. It sounds like this has been really frustrating and upsetting to you. I totally get it. Especially with big kids around.

I will tell you, that I've fit 2 year olds in carriers for the first time. He may have even been 3, it was a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy, and his little sister was about to be 1. Mom really needed to contain both of them for different reasons. They came back to my meetings month after month and she'd just keep trying new things. She was very excited. And both kids adapted quickly.

More often I'd see 3, 6, 8, 9 month olds getting worn for the first time. I think someone here was asking for advice recently wearing their 18 month old for the first time through the airport. It's never too late. Many people don't start wearing until after the newborn stage because hormones are high and baby can be finicky and it's just too hard.

Which Tula do you have?

Practicing with others may actually be stressing you both out more. If the carrier is fit correctly, baby fed, changed and not sleepy before going in and still super upset, go for a walk outside, even if you just stand on the porch for a minute. Stand next to a running faucet or vacuum or hair dryer. Anything that's kinda loud but good constant sound. Pat their butt kinda hard and bend your knees to bounce them or sit in a yoga ball if you have one. Talk to them in a voice to distract them, like pointing things out in your environment or anything that comes to your mind.

Some babies just need time to get used to it and taking them out immediately doesn't give them the chance to do that. I've had people get fit at the start of a loud meeting with a crying baby and they just walk around until they calm down. Sometimes they never do and we try s different carrier and sometimes they just needed to pass out and realize that this is actually pretty great.

It's a skill to learn for sure for both you and baby. It's super helpful and I want you to love babywearing. Let me know what questions or feelings you are having.

Back