A note from an educator

@katrina2017 You are doing so great with your Didymos! Jumping down the woven rabbit hole is so fun and addicting.

I don't know how up to date their database is, I'm guessing not very since I see an educator in my area who doesn't live here anymore, but The Center For Babywearing Studies is a good place to start. But I would look for a babywearing group in your area or parenting groups for your area on Facebook to see if there is a long term babywearer who might want to do a park meetup or something. There aren't many active educators left sadly. But most babywearers I know are passionate about wearing and want to share the love.

@pelegrinus I don't know how up to date their database is, I'm guessing not very since I see an educator in my area who doesn't live here anymore, but The Center For Babywearing Studies is a good place to start. But I would look for a babywearing group in your area or parenting groups for your area on Facebook to see if there is a long term babywearer who might want to do a park meetup or something. There aren't many active educators left sadly. But most babywearers I know are passionate about wearing and want to share the love.

@kayleey_your_moon Due with our first in September and both hubby and I are eager to get into babywearing with LO. Is there somewhere I can search for a class like this in my area? Or any other suggestion on how to get the best fit/try carriers out?

@laura888 Baby should be in a seated position when forward facing. If you grab their thighs and rock the hips back s little this will help. Not all, in fact most, forward facing carriers aren't great for getting a good seated position. This is one of the things I like the Ergo 360 for though. They have a good seated position. I'm not sure if this link will send you to the image or the website but it's a good picture of what seated while forward facing looks like.

@ministerval It's a good carrier. I own one. In fact I think I have had 3 colors of it at different times. I used it when my 3yo was about 4 months old until about 6 months I think. It was nice and cool in the summer. Is it the best carrier? There is no best. It's it pretty? Very. Is it worth the price? That subjective and dependent on your budget. It's good for people with short torsos because it doesn't have the structured waistband. It didn't fit my ex husband as well as it did me and he's a bigger guy. I didn't use it long because I prefer my Tulas. It is one I will for sure be selling and not save to give to a friend or family member.

@ministerval I've been wearing Tulas for almost 8 years. When I first got one it was the premier carrier. The happy baby of it's time perhaps lol. So I probably jumped on the bandwagon at first, but I've always found it comfortable for my body and love the patterns. I tended to wear for long periods of time because I hated my stroller and it was perfect for that. I think I've owned 9 or 10 Tulas from free to grow, standard, coast, toddler, preschool and wrap conversations. It's the thinnest soft structure carrier in my opinion and is such a simple design. I like the pocket on the waistband because I could throw my credit card and phone in there, carry my keys and just head into a store without any bags. I've just got a soft spot for it and you may tell that from my comments in this group, but I try to always mention other carriers as well.

The happy baby I jumped on board with when they just were starting to get popular. My fellow babywearing educators hadn't even heard of it. I love the linen (but I think now that fabric might be different than when I first bought one) and I liked how it cinched down for smaller babies, but again this may be different now because I see a lot of legs in for newborns. My favorite thing about it is that it folds up into itself so the whole carrier is contained in the pocket. It's magic. Makes it the only soft structure carrier to fit in a diaper bag in my book. Weird that is my favorite part of it but it's true. I hate how easily the chest clip moves on the back. I was constantly having to readjust it. It was super annoying and uncomfortable at times. They could have fixed this, I don't know. But it's a great carrier to wear when sitting, especially on a plane, because it doesn't have the waistband.

I hope this helps.

@kayleey_your_moon That helps a lot!! My baby is 8 months old so maybe a Happy Baby carrier isn't ideal - I think I actually really like the idea of a waistband for extra support.

You've helped me narrow my search down to tula and now I have to decide between a free to grow and an explore - the explore allows you to face the baby outwards and it's SUPPOSED to be ergonomic but I'm not sure how ergonomic it is ultimately. Do you have any thoughts on the free to grow vs the explore? Sorry I keep asking question lol

@ministerval I have never worn a baby facing out in 7 years of babywearing. You can do a back carry at this age and be so much more comfortable. I would get a standard Tula that will last you until well past 2. The free to grow is perfect for newborns and while it is as wide as a standard when stretched out, the nature of the cinching means it's not as supportive as baby gets into toddlerhood. If you plan to have another baby and really don't want to buy another carrier for newborn stage, then it probably could get you till 2 years old, but I wouldn't count on it.

The Tula explore is basically an ergo 360 Just slightly different. Ergo bought tula several years ago, I can't remember how long ago, and essentially use their same design for those two carriers but just used Tula fabrics and such. If it were me? I'd go standard Tula. But if facing out is important to you, then go with the explore.

Back