5 kids Failed morning routine

@percarus Thank you. I’m doing baths every other day because 3 of the kids are boys. My 8 year old can shower on his own. The 4 year old can shower but i will need to make sure he is cleaning properly. Not saying that i don’t think boys need to bath as much but u think it’s different than it is for a girl . My 16 year old is with her dad in another state. She was very helpful when she was here however we were at odds this part summer so I had to make the decision to let her go with dad to finish school. It’s a lot different cuz i don’t have another hand to do dishes, laundry. My husband does help but he works long hours. I’m not trying to make excuses and i know i can get through this if i put my mind to it.

@proverbs3v5 You can do this. One thing that really helps is doing laundry and dishes every single day. Put laundry in washer in the evening on delay start and switch to dryer in am so you can fold after work. And time yourself. I was shocked that it only takes 10-12 min to fold and put away a full laundry load and it takes me 7 min to put dishes in the dishwasher. If you let it build up it multiplies and takes hours so I avoid it and get even more behind. Empty dishwasher every am while coffee is brewing (takes 3 min) so dirty dishes can go in thru the day it saves so much time. Check out Dana K White podcast/blog/books. Like I said in my other comment I do this all 100% solo bc of my husbands work hours so I feel you. You got this!!!!

@wonderer99 I will definitely start daily laundry so it doesn’t build up and i wait until the last minute and have a mountain of laundry. Do you have a specific order in which you do your daily laundry?

@wonderer99 Thank you so much ! I will try this out. I don’t have a dishwasher but i wish i did. I just got a 200 ct of paper plates from Sam’s club. It’s been more helpful just more trash bags now. At this point I’m picking my poison lol!

@wonderer99 I can’t wait to get one and use it! Yes I’m definitely about to get the 8 year on dishes duty! At least 10 dishes every other day will be cool for a starting.

@proverbs3v5 We have 6yo triplets and a toddler..for the past 2 yrs we have had to be up and out by 630ish.

Our routine was finding before school care/childcare that served breakfast. I have clothes laid out and backpacks/diaper bags prepped the night before. I wake up and dress myself first, then get them up, dressed/bathroom/diaper changed, and then into the car we go. Nowadays it is to the bus stop for the 6yo (schoolbus comes at 6:30 and they get breakfast at school) and then off to daycare with the little one.

I also have on hand: cheese sticks, gogurt, or cereal bar if they wake up too hungry and need a quickie snack to tide them until they get to their breakfast.

I wake up at 5:30-5:45, get them up at 6, and usually arrive at work before 7am. Kids go down between 7:30-8pm.

Also...we do lay out the clothing a week in advance. The kids each have cubbies in their closet that allows 5 outfits. I lay them out on Sun night. Cuts down on the nightly prep during the week.

@proverbs3v5 Is the 16yo getting themselves ready? They really should be, with minimal direction.

Honestly, I’d consider having any combination of the younger three sleep in their clothes for the next day if getting dressed is a struggle. Prep breakfast to 99% ready the night before. Car loaded with whatever you all need for the day the night before. I only have 4, but I set my mental clock 15min ahead to give us a chance of being on time. Every single thing takes longer than I expect it to!

@stateemil Thank you and sorry for the confusion my daughter is currently living with her dad to finish high school. I didn’t want to exclude her out of the post. When she was with us she left out to go to school just before i would get up. Is it possible to set our cell phones 5 -10 mins faster. I have to try letting them sleep in their clothes. I would feel kinda weird because i don’t think it would be comfortable. I bet it’s so much faster tho. How often do shop at the grocery store for snacks for the lunches? My kids eat everything before I can use it for the week. I have to get a bit more strict.

@proverbs3v5 Well my kids are happy in sweats/leggings and tshirts/hoodies, so it’s really not much different than pjs. If they’re jeans kids that’s a different story. Then I’d just make sure everything is laid out the night before, and kids who can dress themselves do that before they leave their room in the morning.

We have house snacks and school/work snacks. School/work snacks are totally off limits for non-lunch packing eating (and are mostly individually packaged). Home snacks are more widely available, and are not individually packaged. We still have to buy some things on a weekly basis, though. We do stock up on some at Costco or Sam’s club, too.

I don’t actually change the time on my phone, I just adjust all alarms. And I live by alarms and calendar appointments with alerts.

Back