1 year old bday gift

ejfan291

I’m looking for a special gift for my one year old for her birthday. The gift guides I’m reading aren’t that compelling. What did your babies like between 12-16 months old? I’m hoping to get her a toy or toys (not clothes, or any necessities).

@mardbein Seconding the nugget’ it was our big 1 year old gift too! If this blows the budget, my kids other fave toy form his birthday was the Duplo train set with numbers and a cat! It’s listed for 18 months but I threw caution to the wind lol.

@mardbein I love the D&D futon even better. It’s a Made in USA product that is now distributing through Amazon. Their marketing is crap but the product is great. My cousins had them growing up and I was shocked to find it 30 years later. It serves as a slide, fort wall, launch pad, landing pad, etc. we’ve used it For cousin sleep overs and movie nights.

Edit: Picture of kiddo at 23 months sliding down

@mardbein Same here! Haven’t used it yet due to moving but I’m excited to open it soon. Grandparents all chipped in for it since it’s quite pricey. Also lift the flap books are always a hit.

@ejfan291 We got our kid a nugget couch. Best. Purchase. Ever. Definitely a bigger ticket item but it's been the only thing in her room, other than books, that she uses literally every single day. Other than that I'd take a look at kiwi co toys. They're similar to lovevery but you can buy specific toys outside of the subscription boxes and the subscription is cheaper by a long shot.

@ejfan291 We got ours a pikler triangle climbing set but truthfully she’s now almost 18 months and just starting to become interested. She was way too nervous and not interested in it but it may just be that I don’t have a climber baby because they’re recommended for first birthday gifts all the time.

@ejfan291 You didn't mention a budget, so I included the approximate prices for each item, based on memory.

We got our baby a Pikler triangle + ramp for his birthday, and he loved it. He used it constantly until he got more comfortable walking, but he still uses it occasionally now. (Costway brand from Target on sale for $100.)

He got a play kitchen for Christmas, and he still uses that every day. I think he'll continue to use it for a long time because he keeps finding different ways to use it. (Teamson Kids from Maisonette $180, plus wooden fruits and veggies and stainless pots and pans $40)

We already had a Nugget (we bought it while I was pregnant), and while that's probably the most versatile baby item we have, and I would highly recommend getting one, I don't know how great of a gift it would be for a one year old. ($230)

We used it a ton when he was learning to crawl, my husband and I have both slept on it comfortably, and it makes a great pre-bedtime reading spot. I'm sure it'll also be great for fort building when my toddler is ready for that, but right now, it takes a lot of effort to use it as a toy, which isn't exactly conducive to independent play.

@ejfan291 Honestly at 12 months, the best gift was a bamboo bubble wand.

And the cardboard it came in.

At 24 months, it was a more expensive wooden trike that can be turned into a balance bike at 36 months

But kiddo is easy. They have two older siblings, and a mom who now loathes plastic, so even if it means less presents, we'll do Grimms one thing instead of many plastic things

@ejfan291 This isn't from us, but from grandma - a pikler triangle set from Wiwiurka! Our baby loves to cruise and climb, so I think this will be a hit. Otherwise, I had been eyeballing the Music Set from Lovevery, but I don't think our kiddo is ready for it yet. YMMV if your baby happens to have a better attention span than ours! Someone else recommended a play kitchen, and there are great ones from Melissa and Doug, but that feels more appropriate for an older toddler.

@ejfan291 What is your budget like? Are you looking for granola gifts in terms of the activity (Montessori vs a tablet) or more in terms of material (wood vs plastic)?

@ejfan291 Floor piano, shopping cart, mega blocks have all been hits in our home. We tried nuggets couch and it never gets used, we also did a wooden kitchenette play thing, and even a pickler triangle and nope. We did also get a year subscription to the zoo and it’s been great to get out and walk around for a while like 2x a month if not more.

@ejfan291 12-16 months… she really loved kitchen towels to cover her legs, our dog, toys, etc. Now she prefers using silks/handkerchiefs (also great for capes). We didn’t exactly get her a doll, but my husband was working on a robotics project and ended up with a click bot. She carried that around and called it her baby.