Yoga for 3rd tri - but not ‘mild stretching pregnancy yoga’???

bakersh3

Hi all - Im 25w and going strong. Ive kept training from day 1 with 2 days weightlifting and 2 days doing lagree a week and loads of walking.

I stopped doing yoga because my studio basically bans anyone on 1st tri and from then on only allows ‘pregnancy classes’ which, for an avid yogi, are like a frustrating warmup….

As I head into 3rd tri and prepare for labor though Im pretty sure yoga will help release tension (which should assist w/ tearing).

Wondering if anyone has any online recommendations of strongish yoga we can do with a bump these last few months?

Thks!

@bakersh3 I liked DownDog's Prenatal Yoga with my first. Nothing too crazy but definitely more than just stretching and felt really good for where my body was at in the third trimester.

@bakersh3 I took/taught yoga up until the day I went into labor with my son. I would definitely recommend doing poses that help with your pelvic floor strength. Horse pose is great as is chair (with a slightly wider stance). Warrior I & II, and unheated vinyasa yoga in general, are great. I'm surprised your studio won't allow pregnant people to participate. Can you find a new studio?

@bakersh3 Sounds like you’re probably well versed enough in yoga to adjust any workout to accommodate your belly and new sense of balance. I did this for a while with my yoga instructor. She hasn’t ever been pregnant herself so I found her to be overly cautious about what I was “allowed” to do. I wasn’t holding poses as long, and I would take a rest pose more often than normal. And an hour long vinyasa class really took all of my energy. But it was worth it.

Personally I found twist poses harder as well, the further I got into pregnancy. Just an fyi to maybe try some alternatives to those poses.

@bakersh3 Hi, I'm a certified prenatal yoga teacher. I have some thoughts and some suggestions.

Bc yoga is philosophy driven, as well as physiologically motivated, some of the things we do or do not do in prenatal yoga are for philosophical reasons. These have to do with cultivating the right type of energy, according to yogic thought, for a spiritually and physically healthy pregnancy. Physiologically, we're worried about incorrect core engagement in e.g. Plank, over-taxing shoulders in e.g. Chaturanga, and generally about the possibility of students leaning too much into relaxin-induced flexibility and coming out of their pregnancy with a new chronic injury.

If you want to have a more dynamic, "yang" yoga practice, and especially if you want to participate in "regular" yoga classes, you need to really have a very, very good understanding of your own body and of how to safely modify. You need to do more than just make space for your belly! :) it is also helpful to learn a little about yogic philosophy so that you can decide which philosophical recommendations do and do not work for you. Especially if your goal is to prepare for birth, a yang practice might not get you where you really need to go. You might do better with a yin-inspired hatha practice that has you holding asanas and engaging your breath mindfully for longer periods of stillness (think relaxing your face while strongly engaging you legs and breathing mindfully - - > like the ideal way to cope with a contraction).

If you want to do a yang practice anyway, you need to have the discipline to stop at e.g. Your pre-pregnancy flexibility, maybe plus 5%. Be conservative. Be very aware of what your body is telling you and back off early. Use a million props. Get a headstand bench and put it at the top of you mat, do plank, chaturanga, downdog (your whole vinyasa or sun salute) with your hands on the headstand bench (the incline will help protect your core and your hamstrings). Be aware that your pelvis has 3 joints that are all loosening up and that you do not want to stretch them (stretch your pelvic floor, not your SI joint!!!) . Let your hips always fold naturally. Be aware that there are a number of common cues in regular yoga classes that are unsafe in pregnancy.

The problem is that there are a lot of little things that you need to be aware of to stay safe , and lots of possibilities for modifications for prenatal yoga. To keep everyone safe, many classes revert to a lowest common denominator. A really good prenatal class will give you 2, 3, or more options and alternatives.

I'd like to explicitly warn you against trying to do hot yoga as some commenters have suggested. This is wildly dangerous for 2 reasons. 1) it increases your core temperature the same as having a fever, getting in a sauna, or taking a too hot bath for 60+ minutes. This is dangerous for unborn babies. 2) the heat increases your flexibility, which on top of relaxin, sets you up to go too deep into poses and hurt yourself, e.g. Stretch your knee ligaments and come out with a lasting knee injury or a hamstring injury. Healing postpartum is hard enough without an extra yoga injury.

For tearing, honestly you should be doing mostly breath work (three part breath, diaphragmic breathing) . Consider trying the Epi-no so you can practice relaxing your pelvic floor when baby starts to crown.

Be careful and have fun!

@bakersh3 I’ve found a few just from searching “3rd trimester yoga” on YouTube - it’s def hit or miss whether they are just light stretching or legit classes but at least they are free 🤷🏻‍♀️

@bakersh3 Check out Five Parks Yoga on YouTube. She has some challenging prenatal yoga for all trimesters. Sounds like it might be what you’re looking for.

@bakersh3 I just did regular yoga and modified on whatever wasn’t working for me. Literally did yoga the day before I delivered . I also did 95 degree classes and the occasional 105 .

Your studio cannot ban you from practicing even in heat. It’s discrimination. Don’t be afraid to just show up and go in. Or find a better studio .

@zerokdegree I did Peloton yoga throughout my pregnancy, but the prenatal classes did feel pretty easy. So for most of my pregnancy I just modified the regular classes. As I got bigger I switched from regular flow, to regular slow flow, to prenatal flow, to prenatal slow flow. I was able to do a prenatal slow flow class the morning of the day I went into labor ☺️

@be4christ This might be why I feel this way. I am 33 weeks now and really only started them in earnest recently now that I’m huge haha. I liked their modification classes too, that made it easy to see how to modify regular classes in the different trimesters.

@bakersh3 I really recommend Glo. They have so many classes. They are paid but honestly I find it pretty cheap. Esp if you are used to paying at a studio. They have all kinds of levels and durations, different teachers, different themes. They also have post partum and everything else not pregnancy related. Some Pilates too. Their classes are cool and calm, no ads. You can add classes to your library, set a schedule, look at your favorites, etc. I think it's like $200 for a year or $18/month. 7 day free trial to check it out.

@bakersh3 My favorite instructor on Peloton, Anna Greenberg, is currently in her second trimester and is posting great classes. She does modifications for herself (like not lying on her belly for cobra) but leads the class as normal. Highly recommend!

Back