Which maternity leave option would you take ?

victoriala108

Hi all first time mom here and below are the four options of mat/Pat leave my husband and I have between some state law and saved up vacations days. Which option should we take? Based on your experience of how the first several weeks will be (postpartum/sleep concerns) and what it is like having a kid in the first year (how often they get sick in infant care?) or if you have other timeline suggestions based on your experience that’s similar to these options. Like 2 weeks instead of 6 weeks etc.

I’m leaning towards option 2 or 4. I’m most worried about taking on postpartum by myself.

This is all assuming our employers are ok with these, we haven’t actually discussed with them bc I’m not far enough along but we are 90% they will be ok with these bc they r pretty chill /family oriented people as well as workers rights we have.

Some vital facts- baby due Jan 30. 2024, we don’t have any family or close friends near by to come help. Infant care place does not allow part time options. When it says 0 pto days left this is from out “Pat/May leave bank”, we might actually have 2-6 pto days that are accrued through the pt work (or in general with annual pto benefits) but I just don’t have brain space to calculate that this early on, so assuming worst case scenario.

Abbreviations: W= wife H= husband FT= full time PT= part time B=# how old baby (is in months) when enrolls in infant care

Option 1- straight forward, separate

W takes 12 weeks off FT by her self, then H takes 12 weeks off FT by himself, B= 6. Baby is watched separately the entire 6 months. W first few weeks of postpartum and watching baby all on her own. H & W has 0 days of pto left rest of year.

Option 2 - time off together

W & H takes first 4 weeks FT off together. Then W stays home another 4 weeks FT by herself, while H goes work FT for 4 weeks. then by the 8th week of baby’s life. H works PT for 13 weeks, W works PT for 13 weeks. Ultimately trading days watching baby. B=5, W has 4 days pto remainder of year, H has 0.

Option 3 - separate time off, H pt only

W first 8 weeks FT off, then goes back to work pt. H works ft during theses 8 weeks, thus w is all own her own the first 8 weeks postpartum. H goes pt, when w goes pt. B= 6, H has 9 days pto remainder of the year, W has 0.

Option 4: pt together, H pt the entire time

W first 8 weeks FT off, then goes back to work pt. H works pt during theses 8 weeks, then continues pt when w does pt. B= 6.5, W has 2 days pto remainder of the year, H has 0.

@victoriala108 I wouldn't deplete anyone's PTO. In the first year you'll have a handful of doctor appointments for LO. I would take those into consideration.

Typically you can expect:

Follow up from birth (3-5 days after discharge from hospital)

2 week check up

2 month check up

4 month check up

6 month check up

9 month check up

12 month check up

@victoriala108 FTM as well, so I have no proof as to which method would actually work best, but I'd pick option 2. You get dedicated help in the beginning, then you get some more time to heal by staying home alone with baby for an additional 4 weeks. Baby gets to be with a parent and out of daycare as long as possible while still supporting the mother in those first few weeks.

@victoriala108 Following because I’ll need to work through this too.

From a manager’s perspective I’ve had several team members who’ve gone out on leave, returned in a PT capacity (which we are happy to support) but then quickly expected to be promoted which we couldn’t reasonably do due to the person being PT for 6+ months. To be fair to the PT employee we took time sensitive items off their plate, and gave them more projects that they could do in their own time aka these aren’t promotable things. Vs we had employees who took FT leave for 6+ months then returned FT and we were more quickly able to build them back up with high priority projects. So just want to mention in case either you or your husband are hoping for a promotion, as to think through FT/PT from this angle too.

Back