When should my child see a dentist? And other FAQs

@katrina2017 You can brush the gums lightly or wipe them down with a cloth. It sounds like you are using the toothpaste exactly right. Just a smear. Most of the baby labeled toothpastes do not have fluoride anyway.

@awesomejc Can a child's tooth/teeth be saved if the decay is caught early? We brush daily, but a tiny transluscent spot/bubble appeared on one of her front teeth, in the center. I'm worried it is decay, but could it be something else? We adopted her at birth, but her mother had significant drug problems and she was born drug exposed to 8 different drugs. We have a dental appointment tomorrow, but the wait is killing me. I'm so worried they are going to pull it.

@katrina2017 Yes many times small issues can be fixed when caught early. Sometimes a translucent area on the tooth us just that. Let them know your concerns and they can likely start with conservative treatment to see if it will be successful.

I too have a child that was adopted at birth! He is 4 now. We talk about his birth mom all the time, and he has met her (and birth dad) on many occasions. He still doesn't quite understand the whole thing though. I wish you guys the best!

@awesomejc Thanks. We are in the process of the adoption finalizing. I am being extremely paranoid in that she will be removed from our care if they pull her teeth due to decay. I just noticed the spot this week. She has so many other factors that could impact her dental growth, but I worry that this is a sign of a cavity.

@katrina2017 There are a lot of factors, especially if there were drug abuse issues. If you are very worried about it, maybe the dentist would be comfortable with writing a short letter to describe that the teeth have a congenital defect, and that it is not the result of poor home care. I would bring it up if you're concerned about it.

@katrina2017 Yes antibiotics can effect calcification, as can any drugs/medications birth mom was taking. I hope it is nothing. I'm glad your little one has found her way home to you.

@guymor "I wasn’t able to pull up any explicit references to pre-mastication as a transplantation method for “good” bacteria, but there is evidence that mouth to mouth contact between mother/father and offspring can transfer pathogenic cavity-causing bacteria to the child. If the “bad” can be transferred, why not the “good”?"

That's not very convincing. I'm more inclined to trust the research rather than the anecdotal evidence. At least when it comes to my kids teeth :)

@awesomejc My daughter is 17 months old and has recently been refusing to let me brush her teeth. Sometimes she will chew on her toothbrush but when I try to do it for her its all hell broke loose. I don't want to scar her by making brushing her teeth a bad thing. What do?

@katrina2017 My three year old is the same way some days! You can try a few things:
  • Go to the store and let your daughter pick a brush.
  • You could try an electric brush (just a cheap one). I find that my kids don't bite on the electric brush as much.
  • Try doing something fun while brushing. These videos work well!. This will help distract her and make sure you are brushing for 2 min.
  • you could try a mouth prop. This might not really apply to your case, but they work great for special needs patients.
  • If she hasn't been to a dentist, have her checked out. It could be that something is bothering her. At 17 mo she is most likely still erupting teeth, so it might be sensitive. Check out some info on this site. The tooth eruption times are at the bottom of the page.

@katrina2017 I let my son (2) have his turn, and then I take my turn. He still doesn't always want to do it, so I made up the "Cooperation" song. I sing it and give him little prompts like "open wide" or "say ah!" Then I tell him how much cooperation I got at the end. I also note when it goes fast because he did such a good job of cooperating. I may try setting the timer for two minutes because he understands that.

@katrina2017 Have you tried a fun song to sing while you brush her teeth? I have a 20 month old who used to get upset when it was time to brush his teeth despite the song. I told him brushing his teeth is not an option, his teeth need to be brushed/cleaned. Be the parent.

@0207ade Sometimes I tickle her and she throws her head back with her mouth open and I brush then. She finds it funny for about 30 seconds and then shes screaming and pushing me away again.

@katrina2017 Try watching the videos at 2min2x.org while you brush. When she refuses, pause the video. When she cooperates, play it again.

My 3 year old is the same way. He cries and throws a fit for toothbrushing. When the video is on, he just sits there with his mouth open. And maybe it is the dental training, but I find it a lot easier to brush from behind. He stands on a step stool facing the mirror, and I stand behind him. Or, if he is going to fight it, I will lay him down on the ground and sit by his head. You know, whatever gets the job done. Find what works for you.

Back