When should my child see a dentist? And other FAQs

@awesomejc Thank you for this list. I appreciate it! Tell me, my daughter is nearly two. Should she have a toothpaste with fluoride? We live where fluoride is not added to the water.

@katrina2017 Yes, any fluoride toothpaste will be good, but just use a scrape for now. When she can spit it out you can graduate to a pea size. There is a picture in the main post showing how much to put on the brush.

@katrina2017 The ADA recommendations actually changed recently, and they now recommend fluoride under 2 as well. Despite the change, I have never seen toothpaste with fluoride made for babies in the US, possibly because the manufacturers just haven't caught up yet. After failing to find one I finally ordered a toothpaste with fluoride made for bigger kids, but I only use a very, very small amount.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...aste-before-age-2/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

@awesomejc I saw a picture of a three year old with a tube up his nose while doing dental surgery. I've always brushed my toddlers teeth but I started doing it even better after seeing that. My son doesn't est sugar so I'm lucky there. The only sugar he's had in his life was ketchup for like 4 days. Gave him the serving size. Never again. Three teaspoons of ketchup a day completely fucked his sleeping. I have no idea how parents who give there kids lots of sugar do it.

@awesomejc Thanks for this! I've been taking my kids to dentist since they were around 10 months and by 4 my daughter stopped hating it and started looking forward to it (she is 5 now and wants to be a dentist). My son is almost two and hates it still. My question is about the going to bed with a drink. Is water bad? Obviously juice/milk but I let my son have a cup of water in bed. Should I cut that out?

@awesomejc Ideas to make it fun??

My 3 year old HATES it. I know its a neccessity but its a kicking and screaming fit to get him to do it.
My 18m old just locks his jaw shut when I try to brush.

@awesomejc In PA none of the pediatric dentists would see my son before he turned 2 (unless there was a problem with his teeth). I'm not sure if it's that way all over the states but his pediatrician was the one that would look his teeth over at every well visit until he turned 2. He hasn't had his first visit yet (it's scheduled) but I was told it would be a initial checkup, cleaning and possible fluoride treatment (we dont have fluoride in our water but us kids toothpaste w/fluoride). Not sure if this varies by dentist or not.

@unfitforswine It varies by provider, generally because the recommendations have changed. In the 60's the recommendation was by age two, but the medical community was still saying age 3. In 2009, the ADA and AAPD adopted the Age 1 guideline. The medical community and some of the older dental providers have been slow to adopt the change and inform parents appropriately. Many dental issues can be prevented if the child is seen early.

http://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/G_infantOralHealthCare.pdf

@awesomejc I'm a little late here but just had a couple of quick questions about brushing my 7month olds teeth.

She only has 2 teeth and I brush them twice a day but should I be brushing the gums as well?

Also, how can I stop her swallowing the toothpaste? I read an article on infant dental health that said you should "encourage them to spit out the toothpaste" but since she's only 7 months that isn't really working. I only use a smear of toothpaste and it's one made specifically for babies so will it do her any harm to ingest it?

Sorry if these are stupid questions! Edit: spelling.

Back