When should my child see a dentist? And other FAQs

@awesomejc Thank you for this list. I appreciate it! Tell me, my daughter is nearly two. Should she have a toothpaste with fluoride? We live where fluoride is not added to the water.

@katrina2017 Yes, any fluoride toothpaste will be good, but just use a scrape for now. When she can spit it out you can graduate to a pea size. There is a picture in the main post showing how much to put on the brush.

@katrina2017 The ADA recommendations actually changed recently, and they now recommend fluoride under 2 as well. Despite the change, I have never seen toothpaste with fluoride made for babies in the US, possibly because the manufacturers just haven't caught up yet. After failing to find one I finally ordered a toothpaste with fluoride made for bigger kids, but I only use a very, very small amount.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...aste-before-age-2/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

@awesomejc I saw a picture of a three year old with a tube up his nose while doing dental surgery. I've always brushed my toddlers teeth but I started doing it even better after seeing that. My son doesn't est sugar so I'm lucky there. The only sugar he's had in his life was ketchup for like 4 days. Gave him the serving size. Never again. Three teaspoons of ketchup a day completely fucked his sleeping. I have no idea how parents who give there kids lots of sugar do it.

@awesomejc Thanks for this! I've been taking my kids to dentist since they were around 10 months and by 4 my daughter stopped hating it and started looking forward to it (she is 5 now and wants to be a dentist). My son is almost two and hates it still. My question is about the going to bed with a drink. Is water bad? Obviously juice/milk but I let my son have a cup of water in bed. Should I cut that out?