When did you feel like working out again? Week 9 starting to see the light

@pastorjohan Sorry you went through that!!

I didn't feel ok at ALL until past the 20w mark, so I didn't do anything at all till then. Then I had a surge of energy until birth. But, not for gym. I swam because I was so big and swollen and just couldn't physically do anything else with swelling. But I'd swim 1hr 5-6 X a week.

@pastorjohan I weight lift with the Paragon Fitness Program from Laurie Christine King 4 days a week and spin 2-3 days a week, along with daily walks for the dogs benefit more than mine. In my first trimester it took everything in me just to get the walk done - and had it not been for the dog - I probably wouldn't have even done that. I was *exhausted*. Around week 14 I felt a lot better and started to slowly return to my routine and in the past 2-3 weeks I've really been able to ramp back up. Currently 19 weeks and back to my normal schedule for the time being.

@pastorjohan I didn’t have any bleeding but weeks 7-8 I was nauseous and flat out tired especially since I had cut out caffeine at that time. Week 9 I set myself up to start a new 3 week HIIT program and now I have so much more energy at week 12. There is a light those first few weeks are tough!

@pastorjohan Couldn’t work out or do much of anything besides a light walk weeks 3-8. Lightly increased my work outs (squats, abs, lunges, etc), added in yoga, and longer walks around week 9. Now at almost 12 weeks and I’m feeling SO much better (probably the combo of spring and nearing 2nd tri) but I’m still taking it slow-ish. I started running last weekend again but only did a mile, then did another mile on Tuesday, and planning to try 1.5-2 miles today. I feel great - but anytime I have a cramp at all I kind of panic. I haven’t had any spotting since early week 4 thankfully but I don’t blame you for being scared! However there’s no research that says you can’t be active, and in fact, it’s good for baby! I read you should be able to talk through working out, but NOT sing, as a way of measuring exertion. I’m just tuning in more and accepting I have to go slower, whether I actually have to or whether it’s just for peace of mind.

@pastorjohan Wow that’s a lot to go through! Glad to hear you’re starting to see the light though. I felt way too sick to work out in 1st trimester, and got back into it at the beginning of the 2nd. Definitely overdid it my first time as I was a bit too excited to be working out again, so always best to take it slow and maybe do less than you think you can initially.

I had a period of time in the 2nd trimester where I was literally spotting every morning for weeks. Doctor couldn’t say what was wrong, and baby was fine, so I kept working out. Although most of my routines have been online prenatal workouts on YouTube which are modified already. Definitely feel they’ve helped me keep some of the common pregnancy pains at bay. All the best with your return to fitness, I hope it’s nice and smooth!

@pastorjohan I have been powerlifting for 8 years. My coach has worked with 3 different pregnant women throughout their pregnancies and my dr had given me these instructions: your body is used to lifting so it is ok to continue, just reduce the intensity and listen to your body. If you have any bleeding or cramping, stop and call us.

I was able to mostly keep up my lifting routine after finding out I was pregnant. There were a few days I skipped or reduced/skipped things because of fatigue or nausea, but for the most part I felt like I felt better when I went to the gym so I've kept lifting and some moderate cardio 3-4 days per week.

At 11 weeks I was at the gym deadlifting about 75%. I went to the bathroom and was straining because I had forgotten to take Colace for a few days, and I noticed blood. I am still not sure if it was the straining from lifting or from going to the bathroom that caused the bleed. I called my dr and the nurse FREAKED OUT about how much I was lifting and talked to my dr. Then she called back and said "the dr knows about your lifting but wants you to cut back to 50%. Stop and call us if you have any more cramps or bleeding." I ended up taking most of that week off completely because I was so scared. A week after the incident I had my NT ultrasound and there was no sign of what may have caused the bleeding! The only comment the tech had was that my placenta is anterior and a little low but she said that was common this early on.

I see my dr tomorrow and will be asking her a lot of questions about what I should or should not do. I did read this comment from Brianna Battles that really helped me put it into perspective: Pregnant athletes do not need to “train for birth,” because their baseline of fitness is already well established. They need to train their mind and body for postpartum recovery. They need awareness of the potential of, and/or current core and pelvic health symptoms...

So I am trying to find a balance and consider exercise more as a tool to make me feel good, and less about "preparing for birth" or "maintaining a strength base." Most important is to keep baby healthy and to think long term in terms of my core and pelvic floor.