What to add?

ashwalker

Hello everyone. FTM getting into CDing. Thanks for all your help so far (especially with Fluff Love U...seriously it's a life saver). Hee is what I have so far. Suggestions on what to add?

CD desires: Want to do AI2/Hybrids. Not really into pockets/AIOs. Ok with prefolds, but not all by themselves (not wanting to teach DH how fold it). We are planning to do sposies in the very beginning until we get a grip on this parenting thing, lol. Also Oma/Opa will be taking care of LO, so something easy ish.

Covers:
2 Lg gDiaper covers,
6 Med gDiaper covers,
2 Sm gDiaper covers,
1 Flip OS cover,
2 Grovia hybrid covers

Inserts:
13 NB GMD prefolds,
10 Sm GMD workhorses,
13 M/L gDiaper inserts,
5 Sm gDiaper inserts,
And 1.5 yds microfleece, 1 yd hemp, and 1 yd bamboo fabrics to make DIY inserts (varying sizes).

I know I need more larger covers (or one size covers in general) and maybe some more Sm inserts? Thoughts?

@ashwalker What you like on paper vs. in practice might end up totally different. I agree that more variety is better for starting out. Even if you don't like pockets or AIOs, having one or two will help you if you ever need to troubleshoot if things just aren't working for you.

@ashwalker I personally am not a fan of AI2s (unless you count prefolds/covers ai2?). If your worried about teaching hubby how to fold the prefold you could get some fitted dispaers.vGmd has workhorse fitted that i got for my husband for the same reason and i LOVE THEM. I feel like with my grovia ai2 the cover always seems to get wet even after just 1 pee-and since its mesh you really need to toss it in the laundry and not reuse it. Just my experience.

@ashwalker I would suggest more variety. I haven't used gdiapers myself but one of the big complaints is that you secure them in the back rather than the front. Personally I get annoyed with outfits that button in the back, never mind a diaper!

Do you have wetbags or pail liners?

@tankcr I love the fasten in the back actually. As they get older it's harder for little hands to get them off :). I don't have a wet bag/pail liner yet but it's on my list to buy.

@ashwalker Honestly, IMO, I'd go with more Grovia hybrid covers and the inserts to go with them. We've had ours for almost a year now and they hold up so well, they could almost pass as new. They are amazing quality and last forever.

@barthenson I disagree. I just sold my whole stash after a year and about a third of them had holes that were clearly a manufacturing defect (on the base layer, right where the gusset is sewn in). All of our velcro shells stopped sticking after only a few months. And when you get to spraying the poop, spraying between the layers and the gussets is more hassle than it's worth. On top of that, after about 7 months, we had nonstop leaks, even with brand new shells. I initially blew about $600 on our grovia stash and imo, it was a waste of money since at the first change, they quit working for us completely and we had to change our whole stash. Their customer service (especially for Canadians) sealed the deal for me. There are much better companies out there.

@barthenson Awesome, thanks! We only have one store in town that sells grovias and they only have one color and usually a quantity of 2-3 diapers. Guess I'll have to buy them online. Looking to get some grovia liners, just wish they weren't so expensive! But guess the price is worth it!

@ashwalker They are expensive. But the lesson I have learned is that you get exactly what you pay for with cloth diapers! If I could go back to when my son was a baby, I would get all Grovia hybrids and nothing else.

Back