What’s your opinion on v tech / active toys?

donkeybuyer

We have a 6 month old. So far she’s played with wood, cloth, rubber and silicone toys without batteries. As she’s getting older I’ve seen lots more suggestions for vtech toys (light up, make noise and/or move)

We are a quiet house, but we play lots of music and sing songs, and go outside. We haven’t introduced our daughter to screens.

Just curious what folks experiences have been with battery operated/ active toys vs an all passive toy experience.

@donkeybuyer We use them sparingly because they are extremely annoying. We only have 2 which we got used. I wouldn't say they occupy our daughter any more than her other toys.

@donkeybuyer Lovevery recommends exposure real life cause and effect like light switches vs toys that do this. I’m personally trying to avoid loud/bright toys but who knows where I’ll be a few months from now. I’m also lucky that my mom saved my stuff from the 80s so LO has interactive toys like a little Sesame Street radio that sounds like a music box playing “the people in your neighborhood,” and the images of the characters rotate around - but it’s not digital.

@donkeybuyer Genuinely not sure how’d we’d have survived without this toy.

It’s simple. Maybe your baby is ahead of it developmentally (mine is 3.5 mo), but it plays classical music and lights up.

Otherwise, anything that supports her development is worth it. Since she’s not been exposed to much to the flashy stuff, you could start with rudimentary things like a little truck or a drum set, or a small piano. But there’s no law that you have go get those toys. They’re engaging for babies but also distracting, and maybe that’s not the vibe you want. Others enjoy the break from the constant entertaining.

We try to play with a mix of stuff so she’s not constantly stimulated, but is always interacting/looking at something.

@oryareah We do have a small piano, but she has to actively play with it to work, and other toys that move from Lovevery.

I agree it’s about stimulation and engagement

@donkeybuyer The only toy we have that lights up and makes noise is the fisher price kick and play piano. LO is 8 months old and I’m hoping to keep it that way through his first bday/Xmas but we’ll see.

@sabtuhore I’ve heard amazing things about that toy from parents since my baby was 2 months old!

Yes I’m nervous about Xmas and bdays too. I’m trying to plan a wishlist now.

@oryareah I liked this function when the baby was really little because it had an immediate cause and effect, unlike the songs which just played no matter how she kicked.

Figuring out all the tunes I can play with just five keys keeps mommy's brain active too. 😀

@donkeybuyer I highly recommend it! He’s had it since he was 3/4ish months and he still plays with it daily. And the songs are decent so I’m not even annoyed with it yet hahah.

I’m so grateful that both our families seem to stick to wishlists so I’m hoping they will for him too. Gonna ask for experiences, like zoo or aquarium tickets, that kinda thing. And then a range of toys at different $$. Luckily they all know our space is limited so I’m hoping that curbs the unnecessary buying 😂

@donkeybuyer I try to put my seven month with her regular, non sound making toys, on her tummy (she just rolls on to her tummy anyway) as much as she will tolerate. It’s gotten better as she’s older. Then, as she’s sitting up on her own, I will place her to sit up by certain toys. Like a pot with some spoons (in a corner so it doesn’t move away), or a sit up piano. Then I would place her in one of her standing container toys (she is usually just in it for ten minutes maximum once or twice a day). Then I will place her in front of a vtech walker toy with a front that has sounds/lights, which is another good toy for sitting up.

Floor time without sound toys I figure is preferable, but I won’t hesitate to use one if it’s all she will tolerate. It’s good to have a few for when they’re getting fussy. It’s a win when I can get chores done, particularly as she gets older and naps less (I prefer to do leisure activities when she naps if I can).

Back