We can’t bed share because my baby is formula fed? Explain

@chenml60 EPer from birth till 14months. Babe was bottle fed breast milk. We have also coslept from birth. He is now 20months. Do what feels right for you mama

@chenml60 Here's an article by Professor Helen Ball:
https://evolutionaryparenting.com/bed-sharing-and-co-sleeping-research-overview/

It details some of the reasons. However, I can't find it but I do remember reading another article by Professor Helen Ball, that one of the reasons it's not considered as safe is because the number of parents that enter safe sleeping studies are significantly less for formula bed babies than breastfed babies. So they don't actually have that much data.

@chenml60 I’ve personally read that formula fed infants sleep deeper and longer which could be a factor.

Sometimes I have babe sleep higher up by our heads to prevent our blankets from being accidentally pulled up and covering his face in the night. Especially if he’s between us. We have a king mattress that’s firm with limited pillows so I feel like it’s low risk.

Baby wears a nightie (like a long sleeved dress) for easy diaper access and cooling. I too worry about him overheating. I found he woke up with a heat rash if he was wearing thick footie pajamas or if his blanket was too thick/not breathable. He now sleeps with his own lighter baby muslin blanket usually on the outer side of the bed so my blankets don’t interfere. It also depends on how cold it is. I just try to dress in as many layers as him so I can better gauge things at night.

Best of luck with everything, follow your instincts! You know best for your situation.

@chenml60 Of course it’s still safer to bedshare than to fall asleep on the couch even if you formula feed. If you can only do 6/7 that’s okay. One benefit to breastfeeding is that it keeps mom from falling into a deep sleep next to baby. (Which also has its downsides, I usually need an extra half hour of baby free sleep somewhere.

I would just try to find another way to mitigate risk. Can you side car a crib? How firm is your mattress? Maybe upgrading/downgrading to a super firm mattress. Or moving to a floor bed.

I personally use a twin size crochet blanket that I drape mostly behind my back. I feel more comfortable using a crochet blanket because the holes feel more breathable. You could also get one of those zip up house robes.

If you’ve woken up with your arm on top of babies face I would be trying to think of ways to prevent that. If babies sleeping closer to your face I would try to not use a pillow, or use a very small pillow, and make sure there’s no space at the top of the mattress where baby could slip into the bed frame.

@chenml60 Only answers the first but there are studies showing that a breastfeeding mom emits certain hormones that make her more alert to cosleeping specifically. It’s even shown that the hormones have a ripple effect if the father is very present or also cosleeps with mom that they become somewhat less deep sleepers in order avoid harming the baby in sleep. I don’t have the references but have heard it on a few different podcasts about baby sleep. I don’t think this means you can’t cosleep but maybe just that there are certain natural “safeties” inherited if you are ebf mom.

@chenml60 Cosleepy on instragram also talks about how breastfed babies gravitate towards the nipple most of the night whereas bottle fed babies gravitate towards the mum and dads face. So I’d advise sleeping on the edge of your pillow, having your arm out long as a barrier. Make sure you have arms free for bub regardless of age, it’s not recommended you have their arms tucked in/swaddled when bed sharing. Good luck!

Back