We are water safety experts from the National Drowning Prevention Alliance! Ask us anything about keeping kids safe near water!

@jax1212 Excellent question. The US drowning numbers are higher than most other developed countries. There are several differences, such as the lack of strict pool barrier requirements for backyard pools across most of the country, the lack of a unified campaign such as Australia has done, and our cultural differences with water recreation. The US doesn't invest in drowning prevention like other developed nations do. We are slowly starting to see this change, but we often discuss how the US is behind other countries regarding drowning prevention. Australia does a fantastic job as a nation in terms of water safety.

@prepared4all Until what age should you stay with your child in the bathroom while they bathe, generally? My 3.5 year old feels big enough to be in the bath by himself, and the water is always shallow, but I’m not sure.

@chefdoodle Kids are crafty! We'd love to say no child can climb a pool fence, but it can happen. Here are a few suggestions. Keep other objects away from the pool fence. A child can push furniture and other objects next to the pool fence to help them climb over it. Also, the type of fence matters. Not all fencing is pool fencing. Pool fencing is often made of mesh, so there aren't bars or places that a child can climb over the fence. You also need to ensure that the self-closing and self-latching gate is working and in good condition. Be sure to use all 5-layers of protection! Learn more at ndpa.org/layers

@agapegrace Excellent question. Drowning is a big concern for children with autism. Drowning is the leading cause of death for kiddos with autism beyond ages 1-4. As you mentioned, these kids often love water and seek it out. Barriers and alarms are super critical for preventing access. We also really encourage that you get your child into swim lessons as early as possible. You may want to research if any swim programs in your area specialize in working with a child with autism. You can find more on the 5-layers of protection by visiting ndpa.org/layers and I also encourage you check out our partners at Swim Angelfish. They have great resources for water safety for kids with autism and recommendation for parents and swim providers. Their website is: https://swimangelfish.com/

@prepared4all We have a backyard pool and a 3 year old. We have a pool fence that separate the pool from the yard, the doors that open to the pool have top of door locks, and my daughter has done swim lessons and can float independently. We are still working on swimming fully with her. What else can we do to protect her?

@blancheer It sounds like you are doing a great job! You may want to consider alarms that can alert you if she enters the pool area w/o an adult present. We also encourage you to have a water safety conversation with kids when they get to 3-4 and lay out clear ground rules. We also encourage you to continue on the learn to swim journey. There isn't one thing that can completely eliminate the risk of drowning, but it sounds like you have already been practicing multiple layers of protection. You can learn more at ndpa.org/firstsport and ndpa.org/layers

@winglessstorm You can learn more about the NDPA and ways to get involved on our website NDPA.org

We also encourage local action in drowning prevention, so be sure to check and see if there is a local coalition, foundation, or group that you can work with. Thank you for helping to save lives!

@prepared4all This is so needed. A 7 year old little boy lost his life in a hotel swimming pool near where I'm from only a few weeks ago. Utterly devastating for everyone.

I have two kids age 1-4 . We live near a river where lots of teens swim during summer months (obviously my kids don't lol) but my brother got caught in reeds in the same spot and got a bit of a fright and a reality check of how easy something could happen. I want my kids to grow up water aware and plan on enrolling them in swimming lessons very soon.

@prepared4all What is best practice for water safety for toddlers at the beach? My son likes to play on the shore where the waves come in and the tidal pools. Should they always wear life vest even with adult present/holding hand.

@charleskirk Excellent question! We always recommend recreating at a beach that has lifeguards, if possible. Lifeguards are an added layer of protection and can help prevent accidents in addition to responding to them. A life jacket is also an added layer of protection. Open water beaches that are ocean front (and larger lakes such as the Great Lakes) can have strong currents, such as rip-currents, that can quickly pull someone away from shore. A life jacket can help provide buoyancy and support until help is available. We have a beach day water safety checklist available for parents at www.ndpa.org/firstsport

@prepared4all Can NDPA and other orgs put out a stronger message that children shouldn’t use PFDs in pools?

Parents and caregivers feel like they’re improving safety by having their child in a PFD during swimming activities. (And of course children do need to be in a PFD while on a boat or near open water.) But in reality, PFDs during swimming teach children to expect that they can float in water no problem, and don’t allow them to develop an understanding of what their bodies do in water. Hence the drownings during non-swim times. And PFDs decrease adult vigilance.

The NDPA has some language to this effect in its materials about PFDs, but I feel that the messaging is weak. Can it send a stronger message that PFDs during pool swimming are the opposite of safe?

@prepared4all So I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative but I wanted to ask how it is possible for a child to drown in as little as 30 seconds. I understand that dry drowning and secondary drowning are possible consequences of water related injuries but I am honestly confused as to how 30 seconds without oxygen can result in death. To be absolutely clear I am in no way trying to diminish the importance of supervision and proper precautions around water when it comes to children and I probably edge on the side of paranoid when it comes to my own child around water. I have tried to research this question myself and have not been able to find the specific physiological processes that occur at that particular time frame and how they may result in death. I like to understand things and I will say that I have always been very anxious when it comes to accidentally swallowing or choking on water when in the bath or swimming and I always worry that my son will have an episode of dry drowning or sustain some type of injury.

Back