Waterproof gloves that aren’t too bulky? For 4 year old

I’m having a hard time finding waterproof (or even very water-resistant) gloves that can fit my 4 year old while still letting him actually move his fingers. He goes to daycare where they spend most of the day outside, and his gloves always end up wet. There are plenty of waterproof mittens and super bulky ski gloves, but he likes to actually use his hands outside. It barely gets below freezing where we live (Atlanta), so his gloves don’t need to be well-insulated.

Update: I ended up buying these and my kid and I are happy with them. They look like they probably wouldn’t work well in a very cold climate, but they’re great where we are. I hadn’t heard of the brand before, but they apparently make lots of gloves, so I’m hoping they’ll last.

@tracytray02 I didn’t even those those existed — thanks for the info! I’m still going to keep looking for actual gloves, but those might be a good temporary solution that might turn into a permanent solution when I eventually give up finding the perfect gloves, haha.

@ruatruechristian 4-6 year old sizes in gloves and mittens are so hard to find, in my experience. My daughter didn’t fit into the ubiquitous cheap stretchy gloves unless they were toddler size/ which I could only find in sets with hats. The other option was good waterproof gloves or mittens that were too bulky and were expensive and hard to find later in the season. In kindergarten, we eventually bought elastic straps to fasten them to her coat because it was February in the Midwest and we couldn’t keep her in gloves (even with her name inside of each one). There’s an untapped market for waterproof inexpensive less bulky gloves in bulk packs for 4-6 year olds.

@tracytray02 I thought I was going crazy because what I’m looking for seems like something that should exist everywhere. When Amazon failed me, I checked Target’s site, then a bunch of kid clothes stores like Carter’s and The Children’s Place, then Walmart, Kohl’s, etc. How do these not exist?? Lol. Seems like an easy enough thing to make.

@ruatruechristian I found the stretchy (not at all waterproof) ones in 2 packs of toddler sizes at Dollar General/ Family Dollar a couple of times. My kid was literally losing a pair of gloves a week in kindergarten before we bought the coat clips (early clue that she has ADHD) so at a certain point I stopped caring about quality and just wanted gloves that fit that didn’t cost $12. We eventually got a few pairs back from the lost and found. But agreed- thinner waterproof toddler gloves are something that should exist.

@godly Thank you for searching! They say water repellent, but unfortunately most fleece gloves make that claim without actually providing much protection from water. (I guess they mean a light drizzle might bead up and drip off, but not sticking your hands into piles of wet leaves and puddles?) REI is a great company, though, so maybe I’ll reach out to them to find out more.

Back