Going on runs when children are home? Making time?

@thyron291 I'm training for a half ironman. I have 2 kids primary school age. Yeah, sometimes training doesn't look how we want it to look. Sometimes we need to let go of the goal time we know we'd be capable of if we could train how we would ideally want to train.
Yeah, long runs on a treadmill and tedious. Put on Netflix or something, listen to a podcast to pass the time, put the gradient up if you want a challenge. I train when they're at school if I can. Sometimes I can't so sometimes that means I have to do run training in my driveway. 10km runs in a 300m drive is....not fun. 100% of my cycle training happens on a trainer. It is what it is. I want to train, my kids come first though. So I've just accepted this is how I have to train for the next few years. Sometimes we cant always do what we'd like to do. It won't always be like that.

@thyron291 Not sure of your housing situation; I follow a running influence SAHP who trained for a marathon by running back and forth on the street in front of her house and along the driveway. She was always in line of sight of the house and could hear if there was a commotion (she may have carried the monitor, too.) I think her oldest was closer to 11 and could keep an eye on the other kids.

It might be a bummer to accept, but being a single parent means we have to let go of or dramatically alter our expectations. Right now might not be your running season.

@thyron291 I’m in MD and 8 is the age for kids. I left my son home at this age. However, not for long periods of time. He actually walked from the bus stop home. Maybe check your states age for leaving a child home alone (aka latch key child). Also, if there is a neighbor you are close with you could give them a heads up that the kids are in the house when you go for a run. Even a close friend could call and check on them. It all boils down to your comfort level.

My son is now 15 and I still do the same as when he was younger. Good luck!

Thank you all for the input!

Maturity wise, my daughter would be fine, my son I am not 100% sure on yet so I think I will reevaluate in another year or so on leaving them alone.

Started researching running groups in my area.. hoping to finding other parents who run to work out a child swap.

@thyron291 I did a marathon every year as an only parent starting when my daughter was 3. I'd train three days a week. I'd bring her into daycare two days a week, and then go on a run for either 7-9 miler or faster paced 3-4 miler. Then, I'd get a sitter and do the long runs 13-21 miles on Sunday mornings. I'd typically start training 2.5 months out. I wasn't winning any races, but I was able to get through them under 4 hours. It takes some outside help, but I was able to pull it off while being present for my kiddo and having the peace of mind that she was ok. I couldn't imagine leaving a 9 year old at home alone while running and not having my mind constantly on that. Not a fun way to spend running.

@thyron291 TLDR : check your state laws, check with your kid, and establish rules that help both of y’all feel confident.

My gym is 5 minutes away and I’ve started leaving my 8 YO at home for 30 minutes while I get in a small workout.

He knows our address by heart, knows my phone number by heart, knows not to answer the door, can text / call me anytime, knows not to use the stove, microwave, oven while I’m gone, don’t go outside, etc.

Oh and he feels 100% safe too. That’s a big one. If he felt any kind of anxious or scared I wouldn’t consider it.

@thyron291 I will leave my 10 year old to pick up her older sister (15) for about 15 minutes. That’s about the extend of leaving her home alone. I will leave the two of them home for a few hours, but even that is rare (they fight a lot).

I think 11 is the allowed age for some states to leave kids home alone. I would probably get a babysitter if at all possible until then.

@thyron291 I would say depends so much on the kids. Just asked my 18y a hey said I left them home alone at like 10y old if he remember right 😅

But it was then I left them alone to manage after school and so on as youngest had alot hospital at that point too and after school thing didn't work for him.

Talk with them how they would feel first, maybe just do quick runs if thats possible like 30-45min and phone so they can reach you. Otherwise babysitter pretty much.

@thyron291 Yeah you could totally do it early before they’re awake. Put a way for them to contact you, lock the doors before you leave, Id say get a front door camera as well. They’re old enough and you trust that you have sensible kids I think running early is a viable options for you.

@thyron291 I admire your commitment!! I abandoned marathon training when my ex-husband moved away and have done much lighter workouts for the past few years.

That said, I'm surprised by the comments. I started leaving my oldest home alone at 9 with no issues. If anything I think it helps build independence and confidence. She is very very mature though (more than some adults I know!!) And our neighborhood is pretty tight-knit.

@mark19801 Oh I absolutely will on weekends! I am talking about trying to get a few more extensive runs in, the kiddos tire out after about 5-7 miles biking. Not looking to get them up at 4/5 am to run with me on a school day.. and Week nights are hard because of homework, dance lessons, sports, piano, etc

@thyron291 I wake up at 5 every morning and go for my run then. I leave my kids home sleeping. I’m gone for 20-25 mins. I had an extensive talk with them about it so if they woke up and saw I was gone they wouldn’t panic. I’ve also spoken with them about what to do if there’s an emergency. I also have a Wyze camera I purchased off Amazon (I only plug it in in the mornings while I’m running and occasionally when we leave the house) you could get a similar Wi-Fi camera or baby monitor that links to your phone so that you can video monitor as well.

@thyron291 I've never done a marathon, but I love weight lifting. I've been weightlifting at home with my daughter since she was 8 years old. We've been doing it almost every day since, and she's going to be 13 in a few months. Maybe you could try and get your kids into marathons and just running in general. Make it fun and use it as a way to spend time with them. Obviously, it's not going to be as hard of training sessions as usual for you, but it could become one once they got older.

@thyron291 Not sure if your schedule/distance works for this but possibly driving them to school, running home and then running back to your car to continue your day?

@thyron291 Can you maybe run out the front? Like up and down the street so you can still see the house and bonus if rooms at the front or side of the house, so you can see idk if they get up. You can also install a camera and check the footage on your phone when you have your back turned and run back real fast check again and if they wake up you are in your drive way. It’s not like they’re 5 with challenging behaviours like idk climbing out second story windows if not supervised.