US Home Birth: Join me on a casual meta analysis and personal case study

ajay004

Hello fellow science-minded parents!

My spouse and I are discussing trying to get pregnant with our second child. As part of that discussion, we are contemplating if home birth would be a suitable option. There are a number of personal reasons why we are considering this, but none of them are related to anti-science or anti-medical establishment sentiments. With that said, the current scientific literature on US home birth is sparse. I would like help collecting, reviewing, and applying what current studies are available in order to make a better informed decision. Below I have included details from our life that can act as a case study of sorts to aid in discussion and application.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not interested in anecdotes or scary stories. However, I understand that some statistics related to infant mortality are inherently fear inducing. I believe those types of details are acceptable and a necessary part of the discussion.

Case Study:

• Mother has 1 prior uncomplicated L&D at local hospital

• Mother has no underlying health conditions and is under the age of 35

• Mother successfully breastfed previous baby with intentions to breastfeed the 2nd. Bottles would be easily accessible as backup.

• Distance:

-3 miles from local hospital (7 minutes at speed limit)

-.4 miles from fire station (2 min drive)

-50 miles to one of the nation's leading children's hospitals (local hospital has a helipad)

• Mother plans to follow basic guidelines for care through pregnancy (2 ultrasounds, screenings for GD, anemia, etc., routinely check BP and fetal heart rate), and would change to a hospital birth if anything indicates an expected complication.

• Family would be hiring a certified professional midwife and the assistant midwife-in-training

-Both birthing professionals have multi year experience

-They are part of a larger, long standing midwifery practice located about 30 minutes away

-They are trained and experienced in adult & infant resuscitation, nuchal cords, suturing, and administering IV medication for hemorrhaging

-They provide follow up care of infant and mother in days/weeks following birth

-There is a continuous education/training model for this particular midwifery practice

• Family is already established with a pediatric practice. New baby would be seen by a doctor within 24-48 hours.

One source that may be a useful jumping off point:
https://www.acog.org/clinical/clini...e-opinion/articles/2017/04/planned-home-birth

I look forward to reading through your findings and the resulting discussions!

EDIT: I am struggling with mobile formatting. I apologize.

@ajay004 I'm in Canada, where there was a large study a few years ago in BC.

"There was no increased maternal or neonatal risk associated with planned home birth under the care of a regulated midwife. The rates of some adverse outcomes were too low for us to draw statistical comparisons, and ongoing evaluation of home birth is warranted."

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/166/3/315

@kjv4me I am pretty sure the requirements to be one a Canadian midwife vs a US midwife are very different as well so something to keep in mind when comparing to US outcomes.

@lizmoshes This is a good point. I did find the handbook for AMCB certification, which is very helpful to review, but I haven't yet taken the time to search for Canadian or other countries' midwife certification requirements. It would be really helpful if someone already did a deep-dive comparison online, but I doubt I'd be lucky enough for that.

edit: It appears there is another common midwifery certification group, NARMA. Here is their testing handbook. See pages 33-49 for the list of topics that are tested.