Uppababy Cruz V2 + new Aria car seat- PFAS/ FR related Qs

pandabear84

Need all of your valued opinion! After some research, we felt these two were a good fit for us (Aria, because of its low weight). Then I read some posts here that Uppababy may not be completely PFAS free. I have been communicating with their CS, and while they use a lot of legalese, it appears:

1/ Cruz V2 is PFAS free, if purchased from their website. This may be location dependent, as they initially asked for our address (US state, which is not CA).

2/ None of their strollers contain fire retardants (FR).

3/ They also say "We do not use PFAS on our car seats, seat liners, bassinet lining, or mattress covers."

4/ This is where it gets tricky - to my Q if anywhere in the car seat contained fire retardants, they say,

" This is all the information we have regarding the Flame Retardants on the car seat:

Both the foam and dual knit fabric are fire retardant free to keep baby safe inside and out. These fabrics are specially woven and designed to eliminate the need for any additional treatment."

So it appears we are clear on the FR and PFAS for the Cruz stroller (if bought on their website), the car seat does not use PFAS, and its fabric and foam is also FR free- so what else is left on the carseat that may have FR? And what do folks here think about these concerns with Uppababy overall? Thanks a bunch!

@pandabear84 I would skip the uppababy car seats entirely. Every model is known to have issues and not give newborns proper fits . The Mesa had concerns with to much chin to chest and CPST are watching for the same issue with the new ones because the design besides weight has not changed much . Uppababy is nontoxic so not much concern honestly there . We had the Mesa and I got rid of it and got something different for our next baby . It was a pain trying to fit our newborn in it and the fabric is collects heat and makes the baby hotter than necessary in my opinion . I would look into Nuna or we went with the Chicco Keyfit with cleartex fabric .

@mightbedangerous Thanks for the response....and for flagging the chin to chest issue but I heard they have redesigned the ?harness so that is now less of a concern (?made them separate pieces or something).

Can you elaborate on the non-toxic part (may be I am too granola on this!) It seems to me from their carefully worded responses that the Aria carseat, only the fabric and foam are FR free. So, the handle, bottom of the carseat and base will have FRs. Thanks!

@pandabear84 In complete honesty I don’t think any of the companies focus on the handle , bottom or base . From my understanding it doesn’t matter since it doesn’t touch the baby . PFAs are also in soooo many things even nontoxic diapers and in a lot of cloth diapers so just keep in mind it’s near impossible to be completely PFA free .
This was asked about the chin to chest in a car seat safety group I’m in and the CPSTs in the group all still had concerns with the design of the car seat something with the wings of it . Every model of car seats uppababy releases something is wrong with them . I think it’s going to be a minute before we have concrete reviews from experts .
We bought the Mesa for the convince with the stroller but looking back I should have done more research because as you know they are not cheap .

@mightbedangerous Ok, understood. Nuna claims to be completely FR free, so assumed that included handle/ bottom / base.

I wasn't aware even nontoxic diapers could have PFAS! But quickly googled and seems the brand I am considering is PFAS free.

@pandabear84 Honestly, finding the stroller that will be easiest for you to use to get yourself and bubs out and about and in the fresh air is what I would focus on. Easy to fold, lightweight, good wheels, good brake, etc. You can also get a 100% GOTS cotton liner for in the stroller so baby doesn’t touch the materials.

But of course if you’re able to find one that will do that + be free of concerning chemicals, that is great! I just wouldn’t let that outweigh the overall quality/utility of the stroller.

Back