Trying to figure out how to accommodate for a child at my job

copychief

Hey y’all this is my first time posting here. I work at a summer camp and there is this kid in the age group I work with, we’ll call him Gabe.

Gabe has no medical needs/diagnosis’s listed by his guardians, but it is very obvious that he has special needs that need to be met. He’s a sweet kid, but he has the crazy emotional outbursts over the smallest of things.

During his outbursts, he fumes and cries, screams, is very accusatory, and sees the situation in his own way. I feel bad for him because after/during his outbursts, he calms down and is fully aware of the chaos it causes. He has told me how he knows he’s different from the other kids and that he just doesn’t understand why he gets so emotional.

He also has some off behaviors. He will like contort his face and make odd noises randomly, and he has no volume control.

He is a nice kid, and I truly want to be able to help him and kind a way to handle him. But I have no idea what he might have, so I don’t know how to accommodate for him. If you guys have any advice or might know what he could have, that would be awesome.

@lpt Sadly there is no councilor at the camp. He’s been a reoccurring camper and the heads of the camp have known him for a while. Its a touchy subject to bring up with the parents, and I imagine they have tried before and nothings really come of it. It just breaks my heart because this kid clearly needs to be evaluated so he can get the proper care he needs. Its so frustrating because from what I’ve seen, his parents seem willfully ignorant of the difficulties he faces.

Back