trying a new type of BC in coordination with anxiety meds and anxiety and depression in general

oludodun

cw: depression & anxiety & inferred sui ideation

hey y’all, so a few months ago i tried the mini pill/p.o.p. and was on norethindrone specifically. i already have anxiety, but this pill made me more anxious. of course my ex also made me anxious, so let’s take that into consideration! anyway i ended up having to go to inpatient because my depression got so bad. i stopped my p.o.p. in inpatient, was weaned off of my shitty antidepressant i’d been on, and was put on an SNRI (effexor). i’m trying to figure out what new birth control would be best for me, and i honestly don’t trust the psychiatrist i have to give me a good recommendation alone (i know that’s bad but she’s the only one who will take me as a patient right now), so i’m asking you guys if anyone has had a similar experience and recommends anything that wouldn’t increase the absolute f out of my anxiety and depression! i was thinking the hormone patch (plus condoms) would be good for me. any recs? also sorry this is really overshare-y but i just tried to include only the necessary details!!! lol. anyway lmk!

@oludodun Hey! I also have an anxiety disorder for which I take medication. I was on a Desogestrel mini pill once which severely worsened my anxiety and ended up giving me constant panic attacks. I had to quit it after only a few weeks.

I can recommend Slynd. Its active ingredient is Drospirenone and I tolerate it very well mental health-wise. If anything, it has made me a little more worrisome within the first 1-3 months but that's it. After that, everything went back to normal for me. I didn't even tolerate combined pills that well.

Maybe this is something you can look into!

@drewwagar thank you so much!!! ironically i was going to look into Slynd because a bunch of people said it was the best one for them last time, but my doc kinda just prescribed me norethindrone and i was like oh 😀 okay. thank you so much!!! i will def ask about that.